Chokos

minnie_mouse, Jun 13, 9:22am
Don't suppose anyone in Hamilton knows where to get some chokos from please?

pickles7, Jun 14, 9:30pm
Our vine just does not set fruit in time for the fruit to mature. We like them steamed and roasted. A great vegetable to grow in the back yard. My grandchildren all eat them as well, so they can help budget wise as well.

whitehead., Jun 15, 2:11am
tossed in salard is yummy but you can forget cooking them yuck

moparpete, Jun 15, 4:12am
Hi,
Try the Fruit World in five cross road and also the veggie shop(whose name I can't remember) in Heaphy Terrece . Another place to try is the Asian Market, New Save by the side of Foodtown. Goodluck.

antoniab, Jun 15, 9:53pm
Green grocer by the warehouse on clyde street has them (by uni) also Vege King on Heaphy Terrace and like above said - New Save on Tristram Street also has them :)

jynx66, Jun 15, 9:58pm
Here's a tasty Christophine (Choko) recipe:

3 large christophines
1 onion
40 g butter
50 g plain flour
½ litre milk
Grated emmenthal cheese
Salt, pepper, nutmeg

Wash the christophines and cut them in half lengthways. Steam for 20 minutes and leave to cool. Peel them.
Peel and finely-chop the onion and brown it in a frying pan with a little butter.
Prepare a béchamel sauce: melt the butter then add the flour. Mix vigorously, then gradually add the milk, while continuing to stir. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg .
Cube the christophine flesh and add to the béchamel with the onion. Mix.
Place the mixture in a gratin dish, sprinkle with grated cheese and place in the oven at 220°C to brown.

Personally, I like to sprinkle some dried breadcrumbs on top with the cheese; gives a nice crunchy, cheesey topping.

What recipes does anyone else have for this bland vegetable?