Kale

genpat, Oct 1, 1:00pm
What on earth do you do to make it tastier? No matter what I do it ends up tasting like green cardboard or limp plastic. Maybe a left over from my long ago youth when kale was only used for cattle feed. Appreciate your ideas.

meoldchina, Oct 1, 7:35pm
I stir fry kale in a little oil with garlic and then add a drizzle of Balsamic vinegar. Be careful not to over-do the vinegar. You can also add pinenuts or chopped cashews to give it a little crunchy texture. Incidentally, I do the same with silverbeet.

ange164, Oct 1, 8:00pm
I make it dissappear real quick around here; I feed it to the guinea pigs.

ange164, Oct 1, 8:02pm
but seriously; I've yet to find a way to enjoy it. I prefer to eat spinich or silverbeet. Kale is too fiberous for my liking. The best I can do it finely chop it and put it in quiche or hide it in stir fry or cole slaw. Fans of it say i must be doing it wrong, eating only the tough older leaves. I'm not doing it wrong. I just don't like the stuff that much.

davidt4, Oct 1, 8:51pm
I strip the tough spines off and boil the leaves for a few minutes, drain well and dress with lots of Lewis Road butter or extra virgin olive oil, plenty of salt and pepper. We love it and don't find it too fibrous.

genpat, Oct 2, 1:52am
Thank you,I will keep trying.The younger ones think it is magical stuff.I prefer silver beet or spinach.

uli, Oct 2, 3:37am
If you prefer silverbeet or spinach - why not eat that instead of struggling with kale?

52 Ways to Eat Kale might help though if you are still keen?
http://www.dailybitesblog.com/2012/02/27/52-ways-to-eat-kale/

awoftam, Oct 2, 4:22am
This is really yummy, and super easy. I have it for dinner, and have served it as a side.

http://www.milkandmode.com/2011/05/green-rice.html

rainrain1, Oct 2, 5:08am
Cow fodder.

dibble35, Oct 2, 5:33am
I just had it tonight. I had it boiled for a few mins with some quick cook pasta, add some butter, soya sauce, mixed herbs and lots parmesan cheese, cant even taste it. I've always enjoyed this combo of flavors with my pasta, the kale just makes it slightly healthier.

rainrain1, Oct 2, 5:47am
rats

samanya, Oct 2, 7:31am
I don't like it cooked as a vege either . only way I like kale is the Cavolo Nero (sp) baked as kale crisps. Then it's yummy.

lythande1, Oct 2, 6:29pm
Why bother? Feed it to the cows like it was done before food fashions took over.
Eat a vegetable you actually like.

fifie, Oct 2, 6:37pm
My dog likes it in. Horrible fibrous stuff, we never used to eat it till the wanna be chefs got on board the telly with it.

hezwez, Oct 3, 6:10am
The only thing obscener
Is scummy spirulina

rockie6, Oct 3, 6:48am
Take out the spine thing. Wash in salt water. Mix it with a little oil and salt or any other flavouring and dry slowly in the oven or dehrydrater. It is more moreish than potato chips. You can cut it into strips before dipping it in the oil etc.

samanya, Sep 21, 5:45pm
That's the only way I like it & then only the Cavolo Nero type. I use roast vege seasoning & it's very moreish done that way.
I have a dehydrator, but find it's quicker in the oven.