Brussel Sprouts how do I love thee?

awoftam, Jul 14, 6:51am
Let me count the ways.

This much maligned and badly cooked vege (in the past) is a wee gem. I just love the wee walnut sized beauties I cook with. Had some friends over for dinner last Friday - avid sprout haters and I did smile to myself as they all muched down on them unaware of what they actually were - anyone who looked closely would have easily seen - raving about how great the meal was. They looked a tad shocked when I told them they had munched on lightly steamed sprouts dressed with a good splash of excellent olive oil and some maldon. at least one has added them to their shopping trolly since.

pam.delilah, Jul 14, 7:23am
shredded raw and used as a salad base
I cook the little ones until al dente, toss in butter and sometimes add a little nutmeg, yummy

mjhdeal, Jul 14, 8:03am
My inner-child screams with horror and disbelief that I buy brussels sprouts willingly. I love them so much now, roasted, steamed, shredded raw, whatever, I could eat them every day.

panicky, Jul 14, 8:19am
You're all sick sick sick!

awoftam, Jul 14, 8:38am
I hear you! Shredded and tossed in butter with some bacon, salt and pepper OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Or just caramalised in olive oil and maldon. To be fair the ones we had as kids were the size of small cabbages lol and our Mums didn't know how to cook them.

karlymouse, Jul 14, 9:13am
So they were cut up so they could not recognise them as a small round cabbage ?

dbab, Jul 14, 9:58pm
Steamed and sprinkled with nutmeg is tasty too.

pommyjohn1, Jul 14, 10:43pm
A sprout lover here but aren't they small this year !

pure.blonde, Jul 14, 11:46pm
I want to like them as I love cabbage and I'm thinking they would be similar - but have no idea how to prepare or cook them!

jbsouthland, Jul 15, 1:19am
another sprout lover here !

macandrosie, Jul 15, 3:59am
This autumn I found a recipe for a Brussels Sprout salad - I thought "why not give it a try"?! It was actually really nice. For some reason people (including myself) mistakenly boil Brussels sprouts to death making them soggy & even more strong! Raw is way sweeter & nicer!

Brussel Sprout Salad

300gr brussel sprouts
½ cup walnuts chopped
½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 red apple grated w’ skin
Julienned carrots
Optional - a little finely sliced red cabbage
Mesculin
2 tabs olive oil
1 tab apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard this is the dressing place all in a jar
Salt & pepper & shake vigorously
1 good tsp melted honey
Slice the sprouts thinly, toss gently into a bowl to separate the layers. Add the red onion, red cabbage & mesculin if desired. Closer to serving time - add the grated apple & walnuts. Pour over the dressing just before serving.
Can also add a little crumbled feta too if desired.

ruby2shoes, Jul 15, 4:10am
I usually buy frozen brussel sprouts - they are always lovely. Don't they get bitter the bigger they get? I'm rather boring and only boil them - al dente as pam.delilah said, but I don't add anything to them. I need to broaden my horizons, lol.

ffloss, Jul 15, 5:57am
Love them. I just buy enough for myself as nobody else here likes them.

nauru, Jul 15, 8:22am
I love them steamed with a drizzle of walnut oil and also roasted.

lazkaz, Jul 15, 8:45am
No not for me, the recipes sound nice but .

awoftam, Jul 15, 10:05am
Yip. And they are not cabbages. Taste nothing like cabbage.

awoftam, Jul 15, 10:07am
Small is good when it comes to these wee beauties.

sunnyflower, Jul 15, 10:08am
you know I dont know why people dont like them they are one of my favourite veges I could eat a plate of just them steamed with gravy yummm so glad people are discovering them :)

mjhdeal, Jul 15, 6:33pm
Training-wheels brussels sprouts: (just sprouts + oil + salt and pepper) fast, easy, roasted, fabulous http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/oven-roasted-brussels-sprouts Going a bit more fancy: warm brussels sprouts salad (I have made this recipe A LOT. I could eat the whole thing myself): http://nomnompaleo.com/post/66793339868/warm-brussels-sprouts-slaw-with-asian-citrus
hard-core raw brussels sprouts: http://www.sugarandgrace.com/2013/05/02/kale-and-brussels-sprouts-salad-w-bacon-and-pecorino/

tarawera99, Jul 15, 6:44pm
York gardens in Levin grow delicious Brussel sprouts, if anyone happens to go down that way

rainrain1, Jul 15, 10:31pm
I love them too. Sometimes I layer them sliced in with my potato bake

buzzy110, Jul 15, 10:47pm
Have got them growing in my garden. They are doing well this year due to unusual frosts. They'll be ready for harvest in about a week. Can't wait.

awoftam, Mar 9, 8:03am
I know why sunny. Not sure how old you are however when I was young (I am 52) parents cooked these by boiling them until they were light greeny/grey then served them up. Disgusting. They got a stigma because of this, for people of my generation anyway.