Crumpets

Page 1 / 2
chrisynz, Mar 29, 9:26pm
how do u cook urs. mine always get stuck in the toaster. and what do u like on urs

kaddiew, Mar 29, 9:42pm
I cook mine in my wide-slot toaster - twice - as I like them really crunchy on the outside. My toaster has a silly 'crumpet' mode which just cooks one side, so don't use it.
Toppings. with or without butter, vegemite, plum jelly (atm), golden syrup, poached egg.

carlosjackal, Mar 29, 10:03pm
I toast crumpets twice so that they are really golden brown and enjoy them with butter and golden syrup.

antoniab, Mar 29, 10:06pm
Homemade ones I do in a ring in the fry pan then under the grill. Bought ones I double toast in the toaster.
Toppings loads of butter and peanut butter or honey

pollypanner, Apr 2, 5:45am
Always toast mine in the grill on the stove, far better than toaster, then I can melt cheese with lots of S& P yummy

cookessentials, Apr 2, 9:12pm
I make my own.Our toaster has crumpet size slots.

Have been making these for some 20 years. makes 24. I use proper crumpet rings.

4cups plain flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp sugar
3 cups lukewarm water
15g compressed yeast.

Sift flour and baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Dissolve yeast in water, add to dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Crumpets can be cooked in a lightly greased frying pan or electric frypan ( preheated to 130C) Lightly grease egg rings or crumpet moulds and pop them in the pan to heat through. When hot, 3/4 fill the rings with batter. Allow to cook over a low heat for approx 10 minutes or until surface is covered with holes, remove rings and cover pan and cook a further 2 -3 mins or until surface has set. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. When cold, toast and serve with butter. ( these are just like the bought ones but softer and MUCH nicer. You can substitute thr fresh yeast with dry if you don't have it. 1 tsp dried is the substitute. You can also freeze these.

bunny51, Apr 2, 9:52pm
I either toast them in the toaster then put butter on them, or toast tehm under the grill and put cheese on them (I feel ike some crumpets now. )

denbru, Apr 3, 1:52am
My brother emailed me this recipe from Phuket he makes them over there he is missing the kiwi way! I made these this morning and they have turned out brilliant!
This recipe makes 24 crumpets, if that is too many then the recipe can be halved. The crumpets can be frozen.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
To foam the batter : 1 - 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: 24 crumpets
Ingredients:
12 fl oz/350ml semi-skimmed milk, warmed but not boiling ( cool until finger warm)
1 lb/450g all purpose or plain flour
1/8 oz/5g dried yeast
2 tsp sugar
12 fl oz/350ml finger-warm water (approx)
1 tsp Salt
1tsp baking powder
Vegetable oil for cooking ( best with spray oil)
Preparation:
Whisk together the milk, flour, yeast and sugar. Once combined add half the water and beat into the batter, continue to add more water until the batter is thick and smooth. Stop adding water once it reaches the consistency of thick cream and is smooth. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm draft free place until foaming - about 1, up to 2 hours.
Once foaming gently whisk the salt and baking powder into the batter then heat a heavy based frying pan on the stove to hot but not smoking.
If you do not have a spray oil then dampen kitchen paper with a little oil and grease the base of the pan and a crumpet (or pastry) rings measuring 3"x 1 ½" (8 X 3.75cm) approx. If you don't have any pastry or crumpet rings then use a small, washed food can to the same measurements.
Place one ring in the heated pan, add enough batter to fill just below the top of the ring. Cook for five minutes when there should be many tiny holes on the surface and the crumpet is setting. be patient and wait for all the holes to form and the batter to have cooked on top, if necessary turn heat down. Flip the crumpet over and cook for another 1-2 minutes until just a little golden on top.
Repeat with the remaining batter until used up. Rest the crumpets on a wire rack until cool and reheat in a toaster or under the grill before serving. Serve with lots of butter and/or jam, marmite, cheese etc.
NOTE: If the batter seeps from under the ring it is too thin, whisk in more flour. If the crumpet is heavy and without holes, the batter is too thick, add more water.

aktow, Apr 4, 3:02pm
cookessentials try this recipe

Ingredients:

2 cups unbleached white bread flour 230g
1 2/3 cups unbleached all purpose flour 230g
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 1/4 cups lukewarm water 510ml
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup lukewarm milk 140m
3 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt, 10g

crushed or ground , use about half this if you're not grinding your own coarse sea salt.
If you're measuring by weight instead of volume, you're fine

mumstu, Apr 6, 1:29am
My Mum used to heat butter in a small frying pan and fry them, they were all crispy and buttery mmmmm

540trickzter, Apr 6, 8:32am
I like ham, tomato and cheese on mine

usualsuspect, Apr 6, 11:26am
I like them hot and dripping with butter. not marg mind it must be butter!

socram, Apr 8, 5:17am
As in/on everything else. Thick Lurpak Danish butter on mine. Nothing else.

lcl2, Apr 8, 7:52am
OMG my mouth is watering yummmmmmy

samanya, Apr 9, 1:12am
Cookessentials, I made your crumpet recipe & although I followed it to a 't' they weren't a success (normally your recipes are when I've tried them) I wonder what I did wrong. I used 1 tspn dry yeast as I didn't have fresh.
I cooked them in my electric fry pan but they didn't form lots of bubbles & were very doughy . should I have left the batter to prove for a while?
I added a little more warm water after the first batch came out doughy, but it made little difference. The chooks will enjoy them but I'm determined that they won't get the next lot I make!

samanya, Apr 9, 2:19am
CE . I left the batter for an hour & tried again . much better result, they are edible now, so the chooks will only get the first ones ;o)

samanya, Apr 9, 2:35am
PS . next time I would use a pan on my induction hob for more control over the heat & not rely on a thermostat.

pickles7, May 6, 8:37pm
try this recipe. samanya.
CRUMPETS
2 Tbsp warm water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp dry yeast
leave to froth for approx. 10 minutes
ADD
1/2 cup each
warm milk
tepid water, then
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
leave for 1 hour in a warm place
beat in 1/4 tsp baking soda dissolved in a 1/2 cup of warm water
leave 30 minutes before cooking
toast and enjoy.

muffin2, May 6, 10:49pm
toast in the toaster until crisp then add 1cm slab of butter in each crumpet, then lashings of marmite and a 1cm slab of cheese - YUM!

samanya, May 6, 11:56pm
Thanks pickles, I've saved it.
I've just discovered Jerusalem artichoke & carrot soup, destined to be a favourite & crumpets would go well with it.

pickles7, May 7, 7:53am
samanya. they took way longer to make than the recipe said and only made 6 in crumpet rings.

leonieb, May 10, 9:17am
Try jam and icecream on top of hot crumpets. Yummeee

belle34, May 10, 1:00pm
Cant get the square crumpets these days :-(

teddy147, May 11, 1:59am
I brought some yesterday they are by golden.

teddy147, May 11, 2:00am
we love our with butter and marmite and sometimes we will have honey on them.