I'm in love with Kale

mazzy1, Jan 31, 5:39am
I love making crispy Kale chips in the oven - so easy - cut the thickest parts of the spines off, put the leaves in with some olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and roast for a short time 5 or 6 minutes on baking paper.

And Kale salad with Pecan Parmesan and Cranberries - totes amaze, and the Kale softens in the marinade.

2 med bunches destemmed kale, finely chopped (8 cups)
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
3-4 tbspns EVOO to taste, 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp ground pepper, 1 - 2 handfuls dried cranberries.

Pecan Parmesan
1 cup pecan halves, toasted
1.5 tbspn yeast flakes, 1 tbspn EVOO and 2 pinches sea salt
Preheat oven to 150C. Toast pecans 8-10 minutes until slightly golden.
Finely chop thje Kale leaves - the smaller the better. Wash it and spin it and place in large bowl. In a mini food processor process the garlic until minced. Add lemon, oil, salr and pepper and process until combined. Pour dressig onto the Kale and mix it with your hands until it's coated perfectly.

Wash and dry pecans into the clean processor and process until the pecans are the size of peas or a bit larger. Add in yeast, oil and salt and process until it's a coarse crumb. Sprinkle over salad and enjoy!

I also make Kale Pesto. Just yum!

samanya, Jan 31, 6:52am
Apart from the Kale chips, which I love . I have trouble liking the stuff, so will c & p your recipe to try (one day)

rainrain1, Jan 31, 6:55am
A bitter tasting food fashion bomb. blurk!

davidt4, Jan 31, 8:18am
The kale that we grow isn't bitter, it's mild tasting and delicious when steamed and dressed with butter.

mazzy1, Jan 31, 10:23am
Ditto - our kale is the same - I'm growing about 4 different varieties and they are all fabulous for different recipes

mazzy1, Jan 31, 10:24am
Find some decent kale and try it my way - you'll be a convert

jaybee6, Feb 2, 10:07am
Kale should be healthy but when you start dressing it with oil and butter it then becomes unhealthy.

rainrain1, Feb 2, 9:16pm
Dreadful stuff, I'd have be dying of hunger before I would eat that again, sorry all you Kale lovers out there

samanya, Feb 2, 10:50pm
What type do you grow, david?
Is it grown fairly quickly, like lettuce & pak choi to help alleviate the bitterness?

fishplants, Apr 28, 8:25am
Hi davidt4 - we seem to have both white fly and grey aphids on our kale. Any idea what to do? I usually wash it in salt water which kills most of the culprits. Have tried the old soapy water thing but with the high rainfall in Northland it is not really working. And spraying underside of ruffled leaves . well you know it is not easy. Any good ideas?

free-h-oldies, Apr 29, 5:53am
Is it the same stuff they grow down here for the cows?

awoftam, Apr 29, 5:56am
No, it doesn't. Nothing wrong with butter.

davidt4, Sep 4, 9:14am
I seem to have missed some postings. Sorry.

We grow green curly kale, it grows quickly and is tender. It does suffer from whitefly, but Intry to pick it while it is young so that not too much damage has been caused. I soak the leaves in salty water for half an hour and rinse all the bugs off.

And finally . We eat it with lots of butter. Butter is a very good food.