If there is anything better than trifle.?

Page 1 / 2
gaspodetwd, Sep 16, 5:52am
Trifle is just wonderful.

Any other trifle lovers out there?

aglarana, Sep 16, 6:17am
Love my mums trifle. No alcohol in it. Yummy!

cookessentials, Sep 16, 6:54am
Cant say I am a fan, however, my Black Forest trifle is yummy. Just not into cold custard and sponge lol.

wasgonna, Sep 16, 7:20am
It was probably the only thing Mum could afford to make as a treat when we were kids so grew up with it. And now . can't be bothered.

lodgelocum, Sep 16, 7:24am
Hate trifle, never make it, hubby loves it but he sure as hell doesn't get it made for him. Cold custard, soggy sponge yukkkkkk

motorbo, Sep 16, 7:31am
haven't met a person yet that hasn't loved my trifle. best custard ever,,,,,,,i don't like other peoples trifles lol. I don't like mixed fruits or jelly in it

antoniab, Sep 16, 8:01am
Hubby loves it, I think it's ok. I never had it growing up and have never really like jelly, Ill eat it but yeah not a giant fan.

timturtle, Sep 16, 8:12am
Being a mere male I love trifle, Mum never made it Gran did boozy the better for Gran. And I like custard. Please post your recipe Motorbo xmas is almost here.

willman, Sep 16, 8:21am
Love trifle. Mum used to make them for special occasions. Birthdays, Christmas. Now I make one, just at Christmas. Got to have, sherry on the sponge. Yum.

gaspodetwd, Sep 16, 9:19am
I like custard and jelly and one type of fruit - either raspberries or boysenberries. Cream. Preferably with chocolate shavings on top. Has to be Swiss roll not just sponge. I prefer no alcohol but as a trifle slut I will eat the alcoholic version and mixed fruit version if that is all that's on offer.

tiogapass1, Sep 16, 11:39pm
Trifle is great any way you make it. I make a warm trifle with sponge, jar of cherries, booze, chocolate, custard layered and heated in the oven. Great comfort food and feeds a crowd easily.

kiwilion, Sep 17, 12:10am
Yes OP I agree, you can't beat a good alcoholic trifle, but I love my own the best. oops. I do make a creamy custard and it has to have enough whipped cream on top to be delicious.

I make a wonderful baked cheesecake and a fabulous pavlova too, they would both be as good, or even better than the trifle. (sorry OP)
A good pumpkin pie is also very hard to beat.

motorbo, Sep 17, 12:25am
ve listed the custard recipe first as some might want it but not my trifle, I sometimes use sponge and other times I make the cake

Trifle custard
1 cup of custard powder
1 cup of sugar
3 cups of milk
300ml of thickened cream
2 teaspoons of vanilla
4 egg yolks
Combine custard powder and sugar in pan and gradually stir in the milk, stir constantly over heat until mixture boils and thickens, remove from heat and stir in thickened cream, vanilla and egg yolks, cool to room temperature before using in trifle.
My hints: start mixing the milk in before it gets too hot, do not heat on high – med temp is best, when it starts to thicken take off the heat and beat it hard its firm so you need strong arms, add cream first to cool it a wee bit when eggs go in beat fast so as to not cook the egg first
My trifle
I make tims lemon trickle mash cake – its gluten free and can be found on river cottage website
I do not add the lemon to the cake after baking i use it as my trifle sponge instead, so i chop it up and place all of it in a bowl, i then add 1-2 tins of boysenberries, custard on top, sliced bananas on top of that then whipped cream, then strawberry halves and a jar of passion fruit over this

kiwitrish, Sep 17, 12:28am
Trifle lover here too. I do swiss roll on the bottom. Soak in alcohol then add fruit salad. Cover with jelly let set, then add heaps of creamy custard. Let set then Top with plenty of fresh cream and decorated with fruit and grated chocolate on top.

sampa, Sep 17, 1:07am
I made trifle last week (non boozy for the first time, turned out great) and then, possibly due to withdrawals due to the lack of booze in the trifle, I made tiramisu on the weekend. drenched with strong coffee laced with brandy, lathered with layers of mascarpone mixed with kahlua and scattered with chopped up chunks of Whittakers 72% dark ghana chocolate.

I'd happily consume either again right now if someone was offering. :)

kay141, Sep 17, 1:25am
I have been told I'm not a good Kiwi as I can't stand trifle or pavlova.

willy911, Sep 17, 3:26am
hi cook could you post your recipe please

battgirl, Sep 17, 3:45am
Another trifle fan here. I've been in charge of making it at the family Xmas for the past 25yrs and it's always the same. Trifle sponge, soaked with brandy/sherry and the juice out of the canned fruit salad, topped with fruit salad, custard (Edmonds) and whipped cream. Retro, not flash, just the way we love it.

asue, Sep 17, 5:32am
Absolutely LOVE trifle. Big fight on xmas day for the trifle and best breakfast ever on boxing day eating it again.

mumstu, Sep 17, 5:38am
Mil's is the best. No alcohol and berries mmmmmm

lcl2, Sep 17, 6:57am
OMG that sound devine, let me know when you make it again and I will come visit LOL

rovertniloc, Sep 17, 7:29am
Would prefer tiramisu

fizzy_kiwi, Sep 17, 8:49am
I can't stand sponge trifle, Ambrosia is far better (cream, fruit yogurt, mini marshmallows and pineapple lumps).

Or what I usually know as trifle, which is cookie bear cookies layered with tinned peaches or apricots and topped with cream.

lythande1, Sep 17, 6:56pm
Anything is better than trifle.

245sam, Sep 17, 10:24pm
willy911, here's the recipe you're wanting from cookessentials/brianmac/Pam. -

BLACK FOREST TRIFLE
1 chocolate Swiss roll, sliced
pitted cherries, bought in a jar and drained, or frozen boysenberries
a little brandy or kirsch – adults only (or orange juice)
1-2 x 500g tubs Tararua Chocolate Mousse or about 6 Chocolate Viguer Dairy Foods
whipped cream and grated chocolate

Place the Swiss roll slices around the sides and bottom of a nice clear glass bowl, then add either the drained pitted cherries OR the still frozen boysenberries - place the fruit over the sponge making sure that a few are “poked” in the gaps on the sides as it looks pretty from the outside. Add the brandy or kirsch if using.
Whip up the Chocolate Mousse, using 1 or 2 tubs depending on how large the trifle is required to be – alternatively use the Viguer Dairy Food. Cover the Swiss Roll and fruit with the mousse/dairy food, then top it with whipped cream and grated chocolate - the frozen boysenberries will have thawed by the time dessert is served and the juice will moisten the sponge. :-))