Quince Season is Upon Us

Page 1 / 2
willyow, Feb 25, 8:36pm
The Quinces are ripening again - apart from making lots of Ratatia (Italian Quince liquer which is a piece of cake and fabulous) - any good suggestions what else Ic an do with them?

gayle6, Feb 25, 8:40pm
Quince jam, jelly, paste are all great. Plus you can peel, core and slice like an apple, blanch and freeze for use later on. These are the great in cakes and puddings.I have 4 trees laden with fruit!

cgvl, Feb 26, 12:14am
Ohh yum Quinces. Jam, jelly and stewed for brekkie or use in crumbles, fruit sponge or I stew and use in muffins or cakes.

tinkyandted, Feb 26, 1:18am
I would really appreciate your recipe for the quince liquer please :D

gayle6, Feb 26, 6:22am
If you google you will find quite a few recipes with minor variations.
All you need is two big sized or three medium quinces that you wash and grate completely or slice finely, so including the skin, the fruit and the core (some recipes say no core). Put the grated/sliced quinces in a glass jar and add 250 grams of caster sugar, the peel of a lemon, 1/2 a cinnamon stick, two cloves, two star anise and a sprinkle of mace. Cover this mixture with the purest vodka you can find, or use a good rum if you prefer to do so, close the jar tightly and leave for two to three months in a safe spot.
Your patience will be rewarded! All you have to do is strain the mixture and bottle the liqueur and you can drink it straight away. Best served chilled.

willyow, Feb 26, 8:33am
Ratatia Italian Liqeuer
Take 2 large quinces. Rub the grey down off them with a cloth, rinse and grate them, peel and core included. Put into a 1 large bottling jar. Pour in granulated sugar to come about a third of the way up the bottle, add 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon, ginger and mace, then fill the bottling jar with vodka. Seal tight. Leave for 2-3 months and strain off and bottle - it just gets better and better

jynx66, Feb 27, 10:23am
It's RATAFIA not ratatia.

willyow, Feb 28, 5:33am
typo

willyow, Feb 28, 6:58am
Ratafia Italian Liqeuer
Take 2 large quinces. Rub the grey down off them with a cloth, rinse and grate them, peel and core included. Put into a 1 large bottling jar. Pour in granulated sugar to come about a third of the way up the bottle, add 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon, ginger and mace, then fill the bottling jar with vodka. Seal tight. Leave for 2-3 months and strain off and bottle - it just gets better and better

macandrosie, Feb 28, 7:22am
Have you tried quince paste on a cracker with a piece of blue cheese? Mmmmm yummy!

willyow, Mar 16, 4:22pm
Now have several large jars of quince ratafia maturing in the cupboard along with some limoncello ( with the not-so-secret magic ingredient -vanilla pod - added) - all made with my homemade ethyl alcohol ( yes, it is legal to own a Still in New Zealand - what a great country we live in! Just about everywhere else it's illegal because greedy governments are terrified someone won't pay excise tax). Replaced the mace in the ratafia with cloves as Mace seems a bit hard to find these days - not sure why. Went to three different supermarket brands and none had it. But a lot of recipes use cloves so I'm sure it'll be OK. Makes great Xmas gifts for friends. if there's any left!

davidt4, Mar 16, 7:57pm
I've made three batches of Alexa Johnston's Quince Chutney (from her preserves book) and it is beautiful.

linette1, Mar 17, 12:03am

carlosjackal, Mar 17, 3:12am
I needed some Mace a while ago, and managed to get it from:
http://www.thespicetrader.co.nz/

You'll find any hard-to-find spice there!

toadfish, Mar 17, 4:06am
Anyone near Whitford there looks to be a wild quince on side of Whitford Park Road just past the riding school on the right going up the hill - any scrumpers should be careful as it's a dangerous piece of road. I noticed it on the way to the Clevedon Farmers market.

griffo4, Mar 17, 6:18am
Willyow would you be kind enough to share your limoncello recipe please l am keen to try and make some

winnie231, Mar 28, 3:47am
Hi davidt4 . would you please share the recipe?
I have discovered a quince tree in the neighbourhood and have been searching for a chutney recipe where the quince flavour/aroma still shines through.

davidt4, Mar 28, 4:03am
Here's a link to the original recipe from Kelda Hains, whom Alexa credits in her book.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/collections/recipes/spiced-quince-chutney

ritebuy, Apr 2, 1:11am
wipe quinces cut in half place cut side down in baking dish\ dissolve 3cups sugar in 2cups water cover the dish with lid or tin foil.cook for 3hrs in the oven very slow oven and enjoy the slow roasted quince and juice just wonderful

niffer13, Apr 2, 7:12am
Quince paste? Anyone got an easy recipe?

allspices, Apr 5, 2:14am
[ Replaced the mace in the ratafia with cloves as Mace seems a bit hard to find these days - not sure why. Went to three different supermarket brands and none had it. But a lot of recipes use cloves so I'm sure it'll be OK. Makes great Xmas gifts for friends. if there's any left![/quote]

Mace is available from our Masterton Bin Inn, I imagine all Bin Inns have ground Mace. Try them and see.

darlingmole, Apr 5, 8:25am
bumping for me to hopefully remember to write down these recipes!

vomo2, Apr 5, 9:59am
None here in Taranaki.

gbking, Apr 6, 5:52am
made the quince jelly a few days ago and put down some Ratafia this morning. only had 14 fruit on the tree this year, looking forward to many, many years to come.

bev00, Nov 1, 4:06pm