Brawn

Ingredients
• 1 pig head
• 6 pig trotters
• 2 pig tails

• 1 bulb garlic
• 3 Carrots whole
• 1 c peas
• 1 0nion whole in skin spike with skewer.
• 1 sprig Sage
• 1 sprig thyme
• Celery or celeriac
• 2 Bay leaves, (optional)

Method

1. Cut the cheeks and ears off the pig's head and place everything, including the trotters and tail, into a large saucepan of boiling water about half covering the meat.
Turn heat down as soon as it returns to the boil.
Simmer (just slow movement) for 24 hours then leave it to cool in its cooking liquor.

2. Scoop out & remove all the meat from the head.
Chop the meat finely and transfer to a bowl.
Discard onion herbs & celery.
Carrots will be firm.
Dice into very tiny cubes & put them in the brawn.
Add cooked peas.

3. Boil liquid hard & fast to reduce to about 2 to 3 cups.
Spice & season to taste. (Should be tacky & rich in flavour)
Use salt, pepper garlic & chili
Add 1 TB of cider vinegar
Use just enough liquid to moisten meat.
Place a plate on top of brawn & refrigerate till set hard.
Ease from side of bowl & turn out.

Any left over juice makes tasty soup.

whitehead., Mar 20, 6:14am
dont forget to check the pigs mouth for grass if its home kill and to remove fat from the pigs head skin before cooking ,most of the fat is in the skin and will come off easy just start at the neck and slice under the skin and once you have something to pull on you can almost pull it right off with just a little work with your sharp knife . ,you will first have to get husband tou sharpen the knife or pinch one of his

kinna54, Mar 20, 7:21am
This brought back a memory I will share:
When I was only a wee girl, my nana used to make brawn.
One day I was entrusted with the job of putting the milk jug (complete with its beaded cover) back in the fridge.
As I opened the fridge door the first thing that stared at me was the pigs head, cooling down ready to make the brawn.
I got such a fright I dropped the milk jug and smashed it! and copped the consequences big time!
And to this day I won't eat brawn.

barbra1, Mar 20, 9:46am
only #7 mentionedreducing the cooking liquid. this essential, as that is what holds the brawn together. personally, I cant take the head, with the eyes looking at me, so i just use a pork hock, cooked overnight in the slow cooker with a little spice and salt, chop the meat well, removing all bones,add back to the liquid and cook a while longer to reduce the liquid. (the time and amount of liquid will come with experience). Place in a bowl and leave to set. I don't need to press, as it holds toether well if reduced enough. also I dont use peas or other vegies, as they sometimes make it fall apart. Very tasty, especially on fresh bread.

dbab, Mar 20, 10:34pm
x1
Oh but when it's warm like that you have it on toast for breakfast.
Brings back childhood memories.

rainrain1, Mar 20, 11:59pm
makes me want to chuck up

janny3, Mar 31, 1:13pm
Oh thanks for that advice.My hands are injured so I think I can manage a pork hock in the slow cooker o/night. Will try this.BTW:Only use veg when needing to stretch the mixture.Yours is much better without veg.Love it cold & sliced on bread or spread on hot buttered toast.

nzgardenia, Sep 21, 4:55am
This is my second attempt at making brawn.I tasted some brawn at a friends farm in Oamaru and wish I could eat that again!

I want to add carrots and other vegs to the brawn but wondering whether I should pre-cook them first before adding!At this moment the pig's head is still boiling on the stove so I've got a while yet.
Anyone know!

fifie, Sep 21, 5:18am
I'd cook chunks vegs with the head and add to the chopped meat before pressing like this recipe.
½ pigs head
750g lean beef
1 onion chooped
1 carrot chopped
mixed herbs, all spice, salt ( darn aunty never gave me the quantities sorry)
3 whole cloves
12 peppercorns
½ an ox tongue or pigs or lambs tongues
Method:
Put all ingredients into a large pot and bring to the boil, cook for 4 hours.
Remove tongue and skin, remove rst of meat and cut up small.
Place in a mold and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Put a plate and weights on top to press.
Love this cold. Posted by cgvl

lurtz, Sep 21, 6:14am
I made Pig's head brawn once when I was newly married; just to please my mother who made it regularly.My attempt was OK but rather tasteless, and I never made it again. Well flavoured and made it is delicious. (Thanks Mum!)If I were you I'd ask your friend for their recipe, and then post it on here, and I might give it a go again. As fifie says, if you are adding vegetables then they'd be cooked, but my mum's version was all pork, so I can'tbe of much help:-)

elliehen, Sep 21, 6:52am
I don't eat red meat, but I do love reading old cookbooks and I have at the moment a 1930s Westport New Zealand cookery book, with measurements in 'gills', butter 'the size of a walnut' and advertisements persuading people to change from their sooty coal ranges to gas.

Here is the BRAWN recipe - it might have curiosity value if it's not contemporary enough.
1 shin beef, 1 pig's cheek or shank of ham, 1/2 packet mixed spice, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste.

Cover pig's cheek with cold water and boil for 4 hours.Chop up meat and return to liquid in the pot.Add spices and seasoning, simmer for 1/4 hour, turn into mould lined with slices of hard boiled egg.

nzgardenia, Sep 22, 3:29am
Awesome thanks for your advice everyone.I took bits of everyone's recipes and put them together.Really nice this morning to eat.Can't believe this only cost $7 for the pig's head and made lots of brawn.Hubby took a big chunk to work and everyone ate it.

beaker59, Sep 22, 3:36am
Yeah its great value for money for sure, and goes along way. I freeze some for later only thing with freezing is when its thawed it goes all funny don't worry just heat it in the microwave until liquid then reset it in a mould it is then just like fresh.

janny3, Mar 2, 11:41pm
Would've bought a head from the butcher sawed into two halves and just made enough brawn from one half to fit into the slow cooker.But I still like your suggestion of cooking the hock in the slow cooker instead.Seems easier and less work.Thanks again.

malcovy, Mar 3, 1:17am
I would have screamed and dropped jug and then had nightmares and a fear of pigs for years.