Shin...what to do with it

callum34, Apr 1, 11:47pm
just cleaned out my deep freeze... found some Shin... . what do I do with it?

margyr, Apr 1, 11:49pm
soup, or boil it and then when cold pull it off the bone and make a stew.

seniorbones, Apr 2, 1:06am
I use it in soup too with a bacon hock and split beans simmer until the meat falls of both and take out a break up, add veges to the stock and then the meat once they are cooked. oh damn that means cold weather is on its way if we are thinking of soups! !

rog.e, Apr 2, 1:53am
I cut it up and make a delicious casserole of shin meat. V

1buzemum, Apr 2, 2:33am
Shin makes the best stews/cassreoles and soup (but I personally think it is a waste in Soup because of how tender it is in a stew)

funny when we move and I have to condition another butcher to the cuts of meat I like ... . and they just don't understand! !

Edited to say you don't have to boil it before making it into a stew

callum34, Apr 2, 3:18am
Thanks for that... my brother in law just called in and I gaveit to him and hes going to make it into some yummy Turkish dish. . (hes Turkish and the best cook)

karenz, Dec 27, 3:40pm
Next time you have shin, if the bone is in, make Osso Buco, chop up onion, garlic, carrot, celery and cook briefly in olive oil, remove, then toss the shin pieces in seasoned flour and brown. Put veges and meat in a casserole dish (or slow cooker), add a tin of tomatoes and the peel from a lemon, along with basic and oregano and a splash of red wine (optional), and bake on slow for a very long time, the longer the better, until the meat literally falls off the bone. Delicious with mashed potatoes or pasta.