what herbs do you use most?(starting herb garden)

tonsta2, Mar 19, 1:31am
So far i can only think of chives, parsley and basil that i use when cooking - anyone else got any suggestions?

lythande1, Mar 19, 1:34am
So grow only what you use.
I use parsley, bay (have a tree), sage, thyme, mint (in a pot) I grow all of these. And basiland Oregano which I can't grow here.

lythande1, Mar 19, 1:35am
Oh and freeze them, they keep their flavour a lot better than dried. If you need to, I find parsley will go to seed over winter so freeze some for use then.

eastie3, Mar 19, 1:45am
In the garden I grow thyme (two types), parsley(curly and flat leaf), oregano, rosemary, mint and have basil and coriander on the kitchen windowsill as I have never had any luck growing them outside.

tonsta2, Mar 19, 1:51am
ah oregano i would use that, and maybe coriander, do you use that to flavour soups?

rog.e, Mar 19, 1:52am
Thyme, Lemon Thyme. Sage - green and also red, parsley - Curly and Italian flat leaf, Rosemary - prostrate and also upright, Chives - garlic chives and onion chives, summer savoury, mints of all kinds, and that's not all I grow but most used ones only.

red2, Mar 19, 2:29am
rosemary , parsley ( both types ) oregano , thyme , lemon balm ( fantastic with everything ) basil ( red and green ) , chives and basil mint ( which I have not had time to play with yet )

winnie231, Mar 19, 2:47am
parsley (both types), rosemary, 3 different thyme, green & purple sage, 2 different oregano, marjoram, chives, garlic chives, coriander, basil & mint. Still haven't bought a bay tree yet - must look into the garden centre this week!

frances1266, Mar 19, 2:54am
Lemon verbena is good. Grows into quite a large shrub. The leaves have a lovely lemony flavour, good for teas and flavouring cakes.
Is a good time now for planting coriander, it goes to seed if it is too hot.

cookessentials, Mar 19, 3:33am
I have parsley - both the curly and flat leaf, rosemary, thyme ( usually a couple of different ones such as lemon thyme and common thyme) sage, oregano and chives. When the weather is right I also have basil. I also have growing the lemon verbena as it makes a lovely refreshing tea and I do love the smell of it.

fisher, Mar 19, 4:31am
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme... as the song goes. . basil, tarragon, mint, chives, garlic chives, garlic, dill, fennel, horseradish, oregano is what I have going at the moment... I have frozen herbs in the past and lythande is simply WRONG (again) is saying they keep their flavour better. . she can freeze them if she wants but they simply become "saturated". . probably why frozen herbs are not available to buy but dried herbs are. . drying intensifies the flavours and less is usually used than fresh when used in cooking. . fresh from the garden will always be my choice tho. . :}

rainrain1, Mar 19, 4:40am
Don't plant your mint in the garden, as it spreads runners and becomes a nightmare to get out, grow it in a bucket or something similar. I once grew it in a bucket and planted the whole thing to ground level, these days I have it contained within an old washing machine bowl. Dill is nice if you enjoy fish.

greerg, Mar 19, 5:18am
I think the bay tree is best in a solid container and kept under control too. Mine grew through the bottom of the wooden barrel and every time I turn my back it seems to have got enormous.

sultana0, Mar 19, 5:34am
thyme, sage, parsley, basil. But thyme is my no1

juliewn, Mar 19, 5:57am
I use a lot too. . copied from my spreadsheet planner. . Sorrell, several kinds of Mint - I plant them to grow freely, Comfrey, Variegated lemon thyme, Lemon thyme, Silver Thyme, Pineapple sage, Sage, Lemon balm, Lemon verbena, Thyme, Italian Parsley, Parsley, Marjoram, Lemon Grass, Garlic chives, Chives, Nasturtium's, Rosemary, Horseradish, Dandelion, Soapwort, Lemon Basil, Golden thyme, NZ Celery - a perennial native plant, Multiplying Onions, Chamomile Roman, Garlic, , Lemon marjoram, Cress, Mustard, Lemon Bergamot, Purple basil, Cinnamon basil, Thai Basil, Coriander,
Chia. . Stevia, Variegated Oregano, all planted among vegetables, and companion flower plants, and around fruit trees. I've been given some of these by lovely TM member's, and have bought a number of the others, as either seeds or plants, from trader's here on Trademe and they're all growing well.

fisher, Mar 19, 6:34am
My bay tree is now 6 years old... was 20cm high when I got it and planted it in a tub... when we arrived at the new house, we planted it out and its still only 60-70cm high... We have lemon grass as ornamentals down a fence line and the dogs love to chew on them. . now only grow herbs we actually use or want to dry... More time for the Veges... :}}

valentino, Mar 19, 6:52am
I too grow the most common ones that are noted above.

Love the freshness of coriander and Fennel though with the latter (fennel) very nice with potatoes whether roasted or BBQ'ed.

Also have added extra lemon thyme, great when using some inside chickens - once again BBQ'ed Rotisserried along with couple of other fresh Herbs and have gotten quite low on these during this summer.

I also have Catnip, great to use with cats... . especially dried and stuffed into their toys...

Cheers.

hilt_dwane, Mar 19, 8:37am
Another use for rosemary - if you are dark haired, pick a few sprigs, boil it up, strain and allow to cool. Use as final rinse after shampoo - gives you lovely shiny hair.

lythande1, Nov 14, 5:54am
Uhuh. Ever tried dried parsley versus frozen parsley? No contest. Frozen does keep it's flavour. And obviously how you freeze it has something to do with it, just chop it and shove it in of course you will have a lot of water content. I freeze only what I need to - parsley mainly, my rosemary keeps going over winter, so does the sage. Bay tree keeps going. Basil and Oregano I can't grow here so do use dried.