I've got three bottles of

rog.e, Mar 16, 9:36am
Balsamic vinegar and I am wondering if the good cooks on http://www.trademe.co.nz Recipes forum can help me find ways to use them or should I try to sell them here?
I use plain vinegars, wine, cider, etc usually. Used to make my own flavoured ones too, but no longer.

V

cookessentials, Mar 16, 9:43am
I love balsamic vinegar with strawberries - just that splash with a little sugar and served with vanilla bean ice cream. I also use it with olive oil as a dressing for my salad.

quazy, Mar 16, 10:16am
roasted beetroot with olive oil and balsamic vinigar (jamie oliver recipe )

winnie231, Mar 16, 9:50pm
I often add a splash to casseroles or pot roast ... the acid helps tenderize the meat, use for salad dressing as mentioned, substitute a few Tblspns for malt vinegar in chutneys, make caramelized onions, ... still thinking.

beaker59, Mar 16, 11:46pm
Hi V hows things? :)

Try this 1/3 Balsamic, 1/3 ginger ale(sweppes is my brand), 1/3 olive oil add finely chopped and rubbed herbs from the garden like Rosemary thyme sage etc and some garlic if thats your taste let the herbs soak in the mix of liquids for a day or so and you have the nicest balsamic dressing on your salads. I also add a splash of straight Balsamic to my tomato salsa's etc and nice on a freshly cooked steak.

rog.e, Mar 17, 12:37am
Hi to all,

Thank you for these suggestions. Sadly strawberries almost gone until next season. I am hoping that the vinegar will keep for a few years actually unopened. My family give me all their unwanted food gifts - am I not the luckiest gourmand?
For beakerL Things are good.
An old Irishman(since it's Paddy's Day and my surname is that of an Irish river lol) said that to me when I asked how he was. I thought it was a great answer. "All the better for your asking.

I am interested in the dressings for salads and I make a salsa of chopped lemon, tomatoes, and red onion so I think a dash in that might be good.

Thanks all.
V

winnie231, Mar 17, 12:42am
Keep it somewhere cool & dark Val - if it's good quality it will only improve with age ... much like us really ;)

rog.e, Mar 17, 12:45am
Love your comment winnie231! Actually a truism I believe.

V

buzzy110, Nov 9, 12:40am
Oh you lucky thing. I always add it to my vinaigrette if I have any in the house. Salads can easily have dark vinegars and a real aged balsamic has a wonderful sweet flavour, rather than the sharp taste of other vinegars.

You can also add your vinaigrette over freshly cooked beans or any other vegetable you want. Yum.