1)Biscuits for Icing 2) cake icing question

tarshlove, Mar 26, 12:18am
1) Need a good slightly flavored biscuit for Icing. Recipe for biscuit and also the Icing to use.

2) I have made a chocolate cat that I want to Ice for a birthday party I was goign to use Better cream Icing using this recipe http://www.kiwiwise.co.nz/recipe/buttercream-icing What should I use to seal the cake or make the icing easier to spread so the cake doesn't crumble?

jessie981, Mar 26, 12:43am
Shrewbery Biscuits
125gr butter
125gr sugar
1 egg
1TBSP grated lemon rind
225gr flour
1tsp b/powder
Raspberry jam
Cream butter & sugar, add egg & rind, beat well. Add sifted dry ingredients. Knead, roll out & cut into rounds
Bake 15 - 20 mins @ 180.
With this recipe you can either jam together & either sprinkle with icing sugar or ice. Otherwise you can be ice as individual biscuits
If you use jamed remember to cut a sm round hole in the centre of each alternative biscuits.
Icing:
25gr butter
175gr icing sugar
grated rind of lemon (opt)
vanilla essence
Melt butter, add sifted icing sugar & juice. Beat well & spread on biscuits

tarshlove, Mar 26, 1:17am
Thanks that one is similar to the Chelsea one I found. Can anyone answer my cake question ?

geldof, Mar 26, 1:26am
Unless you have cut the surface of your cake to shape it or even it, the buttercream icing should be fine, just as it is on cupcakes.
If you have cut the cake, i would either turn it upside down, or possibly seal the cake with a thin layer of melted jam. waiting til it had dried or set, before putting icing on.

ribzuba, Mar 26, 1:31am
you can also do a 'crumb coat' which is where you ice the cake withvery thin layer of butter cream, this coat traps all the crumbd and then with a clean spatula you can do the top coat

tarshlove, Mar 26, 1:43am
Thanks for that I have cut it as I'm making a butterfly shape. I only have raspberry and strawberry compote will this do?

rosathemad, Mar 26, 2:22am
I'd go for the crumb coat option if I were you - a thin layer of buttercream first, get the crumbs trapped inside. Wait for it to form a crust (I would pop it in the fridge for half an hour to get it nice and firm). When you ice it also try not to lift the spatula away from the cake if you can - every time you do that it tends to lift crumbs from the cake (shouldn't be too much of a problem with a crumb coat but can still happen). I dump all the icing on top of the cake to start with and then gently work it outwards to try to seal in the crumbs. Hope that makes sense! :-)

geldof, Mar 26, 2:47am
i am not experienced in cake icing.sounds like the crumb coat is the way to go.

nik12, Mar 26, 5:50am
Someone in the past has suggested freezing the cake before doing the first layer?

tarshlove, Mar 27, 12:18am
1) Need a good slightly flavored biscuit for Icing. Recipe for biscuit and also the Icing to use.

2) I have made a chocolate cat that I want to Ice for a birthday party I was goign to use Better cream Icing using this recipe http://www.kiwiwise.co.nz/recipe/buttercream-icing What should I use to seal the cake or make the icing easier to spread so the cake doesn't crumble!

jessie981, Mar 27, 12:43am
Shrewberry Biscuits
125gr butter
125gr sugar
1 egg
1TBSP grated lemon rind
225gr flour
1tsp b/powder
Raspberry jam
Cream butter & sugar, add egg & rind, beat well. Add sifted dry ingredients. Knead, roll out & cut into rounds
Bake 15 - 20 mins @ 180.
With this recipe you can either jam together & either sprinkle with icing sugar or ice. Otherwise you can be ice as individual biscuits
If you use jamed remember to cut a sm round hole in the centre of each alternative biscuits.
Icing:
25gr butter
175gr icing sugar
grated rind of lemon (opt)
vanilla essence
Melt butter, add sifted icing sugar & juice. Beat well & spread on biscuits

tarshlove, Mar 27, 1:17am
Thanks that one is similar to the Chelsea one I found. Can anyone answer my cake question !

ribzuba, Mar 27, 1:31am
you can also do a 'crumb coat' which is where you ice the cake withvery thin layer of butter cream, this coat traps all the crumbd and then with a clean spatula you can do the top coat

tarshlove, Mar 27, 1:43am
Thanks for that I have cut it as I'm making a butterfly shape. I only have raspberry and strawberry compote will this do!

rosathemad, Mar 27, 2:22am
I'd go for the crumb coat option if I were you - a thin layer of buttercream first, get the crumbs trapped inside. Wait for it to form a crust (I would pop it in the fridge for half an hour to get it nice and firm). When you ice it also try not to lift the spatula away from the cake if you can - every time you do that it tends to lift crumbs from the cake (shouldn't be too much of a problem with a crumb coat but can still happen). I dump all the icing on top of the cake to start with and then gently work it outwards to try to seal in the crumbs. Hope that makes sense! :-)

nik12, Mar 27, 5:50am
Someone in the past has suggested freezing the cake before doing the first layer!

falcon-hell, Mar 28, 2:54am
nice job tarshlove.

kinna54, Mar 28, 3:11am
Glad to see someone else using and posting that shrewsberry bic recipe jessie. It's an awesome one, never fail and just so yummy! Tarshlove your cake is awesome. There will be one happy little birthday girl. Well done you!

kinna54, Mar 29, 3:11am
Glad to see someone else using and posting that shrewsberry bic recipe jessie. It's an awesome one, never fail and just so yummy! Tarshlove your cake is awesome. There will be one happy little birthday girl. Well done you!