Venison

sammyzmumma, Mar 21, 4:50am
i am having venison tonight and i want to make a nice sauce to compliment the venison could i substitute red wine with port and what are your sauce recipes please
thanks

beaker59, Mar 21, 5:00am
You can and it works just be aware that it also brings with it allot of sweetness this works with Vennison but don't overdo it.

How are you cooking it and what cut?

sammyzmumma, Mar 21, 5:05am
hmmm i wouldnt have a clue what cut but its cut up into steaks soo im guessing back steaks maybe ?? :) i thought i might just cook it like a steak but keep in med rear any ideas much appreciated i personally havnt cooked it before my partner usually does it but its like an over cooked tyre when he does it so i figured id take over and i know your not ment to over cook it.

beaker59, Mar 21, 5:24am
You have the right idea hot pan and don't overcook put aside to rest then saute some finely chopped onion deglaze the pan with the port some crushed garlic Sage and thyme or other herbs thicken with a little cornflour and you will have a nice sauce to go over the top.

Cover the steaks in tinfoil while resting the cooked steaks.

sammyzmumma, Mar 21, 5:33am
how much port would you add? taking into consideration the sweetness???

thanks so much

beaker59, Mar 21, 5:40am
OOH how long is a piece of string, pour and taste, I think maybe half a cup to start don't forget to flambe for the fun of it easy for me with gas but if you have electric a lighter does the job. Add water for volume if its too sweet but on second thoughts as long as the port isn't too sweet you could use a fair bit as Venison does well with sweet sauces I have even had it with a chocolate sauce once and that was nice. Juniper berries if you have them are really nice too.

beaker59, Mar 22, 5:00am
You can and it works just be aware that it also brings with it allot of sweetness this works with Vennison but don't overdo it.

How are you cooking it and what cut!

sammyzmumma, Mar 22, 5:05am
hmmm i wouldnt have a clue what cut but its cut up into steaks soo im guessing back steaks maybe ! :) i thought i might just cook it like a steak but keep in med rear any ideas much appreciated i personally havnt cooked it before my partner usually does it but its like an over cooked tyre when he does it so i figured id take over and i know your not ment to over cook it.

beaker59, Mar 22, 5:24am
You have the right idea hot pan and don't overcook put aside to rest then saute some finely chopped onion deglaze the pan with the port some crushed garlic Sage and thyme or other herbs thicken with a little cornflour and you will have a nice sauce to go over the top.

Cover the steaks in tinfoil while resting the cooked steaks.

sammyzmumma, Mar 22, 5:33am
how much port would you add! taking into consideration the sweetness!

thanks so much

beaker59, Mar 22, 5:40am
OOH how long is a piece of string, pour and taste, I think maybe half a cup to start don't forget to flambe for the fun of it easy for me with gas but if you have electric a lighter does the job. Add water for volume if its too sweet but on second thoughts as long as the port isn't too sweet you could use a fair bit as Venison does well with sweet sauces I have even had it with a chocolate sauce once and that was nice. Juniper berries if you have them are really nice too.