Pastry Help please

eternity04, Mar 21, 4:51am
Trying to make Pastry without butter. I only have oil, can this be done?. Help me please as I want to make a chicken pie for Tea.

Thanks Jan.....

elliehen, Mar 21, 5:10am
I have not attempted this but it appears to have five star reviews from those who have.

Ingredients:
Serves: 6-8,
Yield: 2 crusts

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 dash salt
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil (corn is the tastiest)
* 5 tablespoons cold tap water (EXACTLY 5!)

Directions:
1. Measure the flour carefully and put it in a medium-sized bowl. Add the dash of salt and stir it with a fork.
2. Pour the oil in and stir and "cut" it with a fork until you've got clumps varying between pea-sized and lima bean-sized.
3. Distribute the cold water over the mixture and stir and mash with the fork just until it all balls together.
4. Wipe your countertop with a damp cloth and spread a piece of wax paper on it. The paper should not slide -- if it does, dampen the counter a LITTLE more.
5. Form a little more than half of the dough into a disk and place it on the wax paper. Cover it with another piece of wax paper.
6. Roll the dough with a rolling pin from the centre out in all directions, keeping it as circular as possible.
7. Periodically do the following:.
8. peel off the top piece of wax paper, then lay it gently back on top of the crust.
9. using the bottom piece to lift it, turn the crust over, peel off that piece of wax paper, lay it back down again and continue rolling.
10. Continue the peel-replace-flip-peel-replace-
technique until your crust is about two inches bigger than your pie pan. IMPORTANT: Peel-replace-flip-peel -- then use the bottom piece of paper to lift the crust and place it over your pie pan. Gently peel off the wax paper.
11. Use the same technique to roll the top crust.
12. As you prefer, you can leave the top crust whole, cut it into strips for lattice, or whatever.
13. OPTIONAL: Brush the top crust with milk and/or sprinkle it with sugar.
14. Bake according to your pie directions.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/perfect-oil-pastry-171806#ixzz1HCvU10Rx

eternity04, Mar 21, 6:40am
Thanks elliehen

eternity04, Mar 22, 4:51am
Trying to make Pastry without butter. I only have oil, can this be done!. Help me please as I want to make a chicken pie for Tea.

Thanks Jan.

elliehen, Mar 22, 5:10am
I have not attempted this but it appears to have five star reviews from those who have.

Ingredients:
Serves: 6-8,
Yield: 2 crusts

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 dash salt
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil (corn is the tastiest)
* 5 tablespoons cold tap water (EXACTLY 5!)

Directions:
1. Measure the flour carefully and put it in a medium-sized bowl. Add the dash of salt and stir it with a fork.
2. Pour the oil in and stir and "cut" it with a fork until you've got clumps varying between pea-sized and lima bean-sized.
3. Distribute the cold water over the mixture and stir and mash with the fork just until it all balls together.
4. Wipe your countertop with a damp cloth and spread a piece of wax paper on it. The paper should not slide -- if it does, dampen the counter a LITTLE more.
5. Form a little more than half of the dough into a disk and place it on the wax paper. Cover it with another piece of wax paper.
6. Roll the dough with a rolling pin from the centre out in all directions, keeping it as circular as possible.
7. Periodically do the following:.
8. peel off the top piece of wax paper, then lay it gently back on top of the crust.
9. using the bottom piece to lift it, turn the crust over, peel off that piece of wax paper, lay it back down again and continue rolling.
10. Continue the peel-replace-flip-peel-replace-
technique until your crust is about two inches bigger than your pie pan. IMPORTANT: Peel-replace-flip-peel -- then use the bottom piece of paper to lift the crust and place it over your pie pan. Gently peel off the wax paper.
11. Use the same technique to roll the top crust.
12. As you prefer, you can leave the top crust whole, cut it into strips for lattice, or whatever.
13. OPTIONAL: Brush the top crust with milk and/or sprinkle it with sugar.
14. Bake according to your pie directions.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/perfect-oil-pastry-171806#ixzz1HCvU10Rx

ashanti, Apr 6, 2:43am
How did this turn out? Would love to hear your opinion

elliehen, Apr 6, 3:03am
This is not strictly on topic, but a different and interesting recipe for a sweet pastry from an old community cookbook in my collection, and recommended to me by someone who makes it frequently.

SWEET FOAM PASTRY
For all sweet pies and flans - will keep 2-3 weeks in fridge

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
250gm butter

In large saucepan combine sugar and milk.Stir over medium heat until boiling.Remove from heat and add baking soda.Leave until cold.Sift flour and salt and rub in butter,Store in cold sugar mixture until well blended.Knead lightly and leave in fridge.Bake at 180*C

Friend who makes it recommends storing it in chunks about the size of a 500gm block of butter, and when using it, cut slices, place in baking pan, allow to soften and then join by pressing together.This apparently is easier than rolling it.

ashanti, Apr 6, 3:43am
Thanks for sharing that one eliiehen, sounds very easy and useful that you can store it for a while.

ashanti, Apr 6, 7:02am
Tried this and it was very nice, though I doubled everything and used half butter, and made it in the food processor.

elliehen, Apr 6, 7:10am
That was really quick feedback, ashanti.Thanks for the endorsement.Must try it myself now.

fee1965, Apr 7, 1:55am
maggie beer makes an amazing sour cream pastry that is to die for, very short and great flavor.

ashanti, Apr 7, 2:43am
How did this turn out! Would love to hear your opinion

elliehen, Apr 7, 3:03am
This is not strictly on topic, but a different and interesting recipe for a sweet pastry from an old community cookbook in my collection, and recommended to me by someone who makes it frequently.

SWEET FOAM PASTRY
For all sweet pies and flans - will keep 2-3 weeks in fridge

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
250gm butter

In large saucepan combine sugar and milk.Stir over medium heat until boiling.Remove from heat and add baking soda.Leave until cold.Sift flour and salt and rub in butter.Stir in cold sugar mixture until well blended.Knead lightly and leave in fridge.Bake at 180*C

Friend who makes it recommends storing it in chunks about the size of a 500gm block of butter, and when using it, cut slices, place in baking pan, allow to soften and then join by pressing together.This apparently is easier than rolling it.