Catering for a Wedding

macwood2, Mar 20, 8:22am
I a catering for a wedding in 3 weeks.I am a (hobby) caterer.I was wondering what is around that is trendy and nice.Am planning hot ham, fillet beef, chicken breasts, nice salads and potatoes some way.Anyone got any lovely suggestions for me.About 85 people.

kinna54, Mar 20, 9:43am
Just attended a wedding where the menu was similar. It was lovely. We started with a sorbet to cleanse the pallet...hmmm. served in tall iced glasses. Then the mains as you have listed.The potatoes were the new little ones, skin on and served with butter drizzled over, and chopped parsley. The fillet beef (are you using a strip loin?) was coated with French onion soup, a whole seed mustard and horseradish combination (from what I could taste), the chicken breasts had been marinated or poached with a lemon and rosemary flavour, and sliced anglewise (sorry the professional slice name eludes me)The presentation was fabulous, the meats were all sliced on platters, but these(and green salads, potatoes etc) were served individually to each table i.e 1 platter of each dish per table of 12. The chef there also served bowls of lge hot shrimps, and platters of delicious penne pasta in a white wine and mushroom sauce. The waitresses offered any refills where necessary, but there was ample food for all. Dessert was a chocolate mud cake, served with white and dark chocolate triangles, a berry compote sauce, fresh berries and whipped cream. These were individually plated for each guest. It was amazing, and thoroughly enjoyed with high praise from all the guests. Hope this helps.

fee1965, Mar 21, 2:19am
I personally would stay away from chicken breasts, a recent wedding had chicken and as it has to sit around for a while it did dry out a little bit - chicken nibbles in a honey soy would be good, they can take the sitting around.A nice big pot of goulash or curry and rice is always popular too.

macwood2, Mar 21, 7:47am
kinna thank you for your posting.I do have some experience but you know how you are always looking for new ideas so that things are up to the minute.Several of my friends will be at this wedding so I have my "reputation" to think about.LOL.
I was thinking I would do some sort of pasta or shrimp/prawn or salmon dish.I have done salmon sides in the past but they always look scrappy by the time the first few guests have been by.Thanks for your ideas.

macwood2, Mar 21, 7:51am
Desserts will be white chocolate cheesecake with raspberries, lemon posset with lemon tart and baby meringues, and probably Annabelle Langbein's coconut meringues with berries etc.Will plate these up as I can't stand it when people come along and want a bit of everything and the plates are piled up with all those flavours.I could do a choc/raspberry mud cake.Any other suggestions?

kinna54, Mar 21, 9:43am
Just attended a wedding where the menu was similar. It was lovely. We started with a sorbet to cleanse the pallet.hmmm. served in tall iced glasses. Then the mains as you have listed.The potatoes were the new little ones, skin on and served with butter drizzled over, and chopped parsley. The fillet beef (are you using a strip loin!) was coated with French onion soup, a whole seed mustard and horseradish combination (from what I could taste), the chicken breasts had been marinated or poached with a lemon and rosemary flavour, and sliced anglewise (sorry the professional slice name eludes me)The presentation was fabulous, the meats were all sliced on platters, but these(and green salads, potatoes etc) were served individually to each table i.e 1 platter of each dish per table of 12. The chef there also served bowls of lge hot shrimps, and platters of delicious penne pasta in a white wine and mushroom sauce. The waitresses offered any refills where necessary, but there was ample food for all. Dessert was a chocolate mud cake, served with white and dark chocolate triangles, a berry compote sauce, fresh berries and whipped cream. These were individually plated for each guest. It was amazing, and thoroughly enjoyed with high praise from all the guests. Hope this helps.

mackenzie2, Mar 21, 7:39pm
I have just done 4 weddings, one more to go for the season..... Phew!!!
Our 2 most popular dessert choices are Choc mud cake with berry couli, cream and youg or individual plated petite 4's (passionfruit cases, choc dipped strawberry, caramel/cream choux & a rich choc cake, all tied together with a couli swirled on the plate)

macwood2, Mar 22, 7:51am
Desserts will be white chocolate cheesecake with raspberries, lemon posset with lemon tart and baby meringues, and probably Annabelle Langbein's coconut meringues with berries etc.Will plate these up as I can't stand it when people come along and want a bit of everything and the plates are piled up with all those flavours.I could do a choc/raspberry mud cake.Any other suggestions!

mackenzie2, Mar 22, 7:39pm
I have just done 4 weddings, one more to go for the season. Phew!
Our 2 most popular dessert choices are Choc mud cake with berry couli, cream and youg or individual plated petite 4's (passionfruit cases, choc dipped strawberry, caramel/cream choux & a rich choc cake, all tied together with a couli swirled on the plate)

macwood2, Mar 23, 7:35am
Hey mackenzie2 glad to see your posting.Can you talk to me about the mains.What you do wih your beef, meats you serve tc.What salads are you serving at the present time?Think your desserts look good.Might rethink mine.How are you serving your potatoes?Do you serve your salads on the table as kinna said or do you serve buffet.Would love to hear from you.TIA

kinna54, Mar 23, 10:24am
You have it pretty sussed by the sound of things. Beef as I stated with the onion soup, mustard horseradish is an oldie but a goodie, guarantees the tenderness. Was taught that one from a butcher years ago, and I'd say the chef at the wedding I attended had used that same mix. With the shrimps and seafood pasta, unless you can make and serve it is a bit dicey, doesn't stand well. Your desserts sound divine.Yes every wedding is different and you don't want to be stereotyped. Always an exciting adventure isn't it. Good luck I'm sure it will be exceptional.

mackenzie2, Mar 23, 7:55pm
Opps sorry never checked in here yesterday...
All 4 weddings this year have been country weddings, we have done whole cold hams with pineapple chutney, hot lamb with gravy, mint jellys (we get these stuffed and rolled) Hot chickens and hot mustard crusted beef (cooked rare) We always have hot potatos (either gourmet or new) Salads we generally do 8 - 12 at each wedding. (roasted smoked vege, pumpkin feta, potato and prawn, basil pasta, rice, green, coldslaw, red salad, whole green bean with canalonni and tomato, etc, we often also have hot vege, We have been asked to do dinner rolls a couple of times also... Remember that we are doing country weddings so often are in a unused stable or in a barn with 1 oven etc, can take some orgainizing... I use my george forman roasters alot...
Any thing else you need to know please ask, I will check in later

cookessentials, Mar 23, 10:14pm
How many are you catering for macwood?

macwood2, Mar 24, 7:08am
Hey Cookessentials thanks for the interest.85 at this stage and that shouldn't change.Am thinking I would like to try that beef.Have you done anything like that?You know what it is like just before a "do" and you start doubting yourself!!!!That's why I'm here.I think prawns garlicy and hot would be good.

macwood2, Mar 24, 7:35am
Hey mackenzie2 glad to see your posting.Can you talk to me about the mains.What you do wih your beef, meats you serve tc.What salads are you serving at the present time!Think your desserts look good.Might rethink mine.How are you serving your potatoes!Do you serve your salads on the table as kinna said or do you serve buffet.Would love to hear from you.TIA

kinna54, Mar 24, 10:24am
You have it pretty sussed by the sound of things. Beef as I stated with the onion soup, mustard horseradish is an oldie but a goodie, guarantees the tenderness. Was taught that one from a butcher years ago, and I'd say the chef at the wedding I attended had used that same mix. With the shrimps and seafood pasta, unless you can make and serve it is a bit dicey, doesn't stand well. Your desserts sound divine.Yes every wedding is different and you don't want to be stereotyped. Always an exciting adventure isn't it. Good luck I'm sure it will be exceptional.

mackenzie2, Mar 24, 7:55pm
Opps sorry never checked in here yesterday.
All 4 weddings this year have been country weddings, we have done whole cold hams with pineapple chutney, hot lamb with gravy, mint jellys (we get these stuffed and rolled) Hot chickens and hot mustard crusted beef (cooked rare) We always have hot potatos (either gourmet or new) Salads we generally do 8 - 12 at each wedding. (roasted smoked vege, pumpkin feta, potato and prawn, basil pasta, rice, green, coldslaw, red salad, whole green bean with canalonni and tomato, etc, we often also have hot vege, We have been asked to do dinner rolls a couple of times also. Remember that we are doing country weddings so often are in a unused stable or in a barn with 1 oven etc, can take some orgainizing. I use my george forman roasters alot.
Any thing else you need to know please ask, I will check in later

cookessentials, Mar 24, 10:14pm
How many are you catering for macwood!

macwood2, Mar 25, 7:08am
Hey Cookessentials thanks for the interest.85 at this stage and that shouldn't change.Am thinking I would like to try that beef.Have you done anything like that!You know what it is like just before a "do" and you start doubting yourself!That's why I'm here.I think prawns garlicy and hot would be good.