Custard tart?

mike_frame, Mar 20, 7:43am
I wanted to make some custard tarts will they work ok with the instant custard mix?
Thanks

lindylambchops1, Mar 20, 7:51am
CUSTARD TART
Pastry:
90g butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/4 cup self raising flour

Custard:
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp sugar
2 cups milk
grated nutmeg.

Beat butter until creamy, add sugar and beat until just combined. Add lightly beaten egg gradually, beating well after each addition. Work in two thirds of the sifted flours with a wooden spoon, then remaining flour by hand. Turn onto a lightly floured board, knead lightly till smooth. Refrigerate 30 mins before using. Roll pastry to line a greased 20cm pie tin.
Handle pastry carefully, making sure there are no breaks, otherwise uncooked custard will seep through. Brush base and sides of pastry with a lightly beaten egg white to seal. Make decoartive edge on the pastry using the tip of a lightly floured spoon...just press gently.
Beat eggs, vanilla and sugar together; heat milk to lukewarm, gradually stir into egg mixture. Put pie plate onto oven tray, gently pour half the custard mix into the shell ( I use a small jug with a good pouring lip) place pie into oven and then pour remaining custard into shell before sliding shelf into oven. Bake in moderate oven for 50-55 mins. After 15 mins cooking time, sprinkle with grated nutmeg. Do not overcook as custard will firm as it cools. Moderate oven is 190-200C

Edited by cookessentials at 1:41 pm, Thu 17 Feb

cookessentials (1150 )1:41 pm, Thu 17 Feb #7

misilon, Mar 20, 7:51am
dunno,.about the custard mix,.. but I do know that cream crackers work wonderfully as top and bottoms, instead of pastry ,.

alebix, Mar 20, 8:14am
No harm in trying it...

Sounds quite nice actually with nutmeg on top and served with some creme frache or whipped cream.

cookessentials, Mar 20, 5:44pm
I dont think you will gwt as nice a tart with a custard mix. You want a nice firm egg custard for this. The recipe above is a real keeper and I have made it many times, only as a larger tart though.

mike_frame, Mar 21, 7:43am
I wanted to make some custard tarts will they work ok with the instant custard mix!
Thanks

lindylambchops1, Mar 21, 7:51am
CUSTARD TART
Pastry:
90g butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/4 cup self raising flour

Custard:
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp sugar
2 cups milk
grated nutmeg.

Beat butter until creamy, add sugar and beat until just combined. Add lightly beaten egg gradually, beating well after each addition. Work in two thirds of the sifted flours with a wooden spoon, then remaining flour by hand. Turn onto a lightly floured board, knead lightly till smooth. Refrigerate 30 mins before using. Roll pastry to line a greased 20cm pie tin.
Handle pastry carefully, making sure there are no breaks, otherwise uncooked custard will seep through. Brush base and sides of pastry with a lightly beaten egg white to seal. Make decoartive edge on the pastry using the tip of a lightly floured spoon.just press gently.
Beat eggs, vanilla and sugar together; heat milk to lukewarm, gradually stir into egg mixture. Put pie plate onto oven tray, gently pour half the custard mix into the shell ( I use a small jug with a good pouring lip) place pie into oven and then pour remaining custard into shell before sliding shelf into oven. Bake in moderate oven for 50-55 mins. After 15 mins cooking time, sprinkle with grated nutmeg. Do not overcook as custard will firm as it cools. Moderate oven is 190-200C

Edited by cookessentials at 1:41 pm, Thu 17 Feb

cookessentials (1150 )1:41 pm, Thu 17 Feb #7

alebix, Mar 21, 8:14am
No harm in trying it.

Sounds quite nice actually with nutmeg on top and served with some creme frache or whipped cream.

ETA, I would add extra vanilla to it so no one would know it.