Recipe Question...

jakelou, Mar 19, 7:35pm
The recipe says..
"Place sugar in a frying pan and heat slowly until sugar melts and caramalises.REMOVE FROM THE HEAT when the sugar is light golden as cooking continues after it is removed from the heat. Carefully stir in orange rind and juice, stirring until combined".

So I did this, removing the pan from the heat before putting the rind and orange juice in the pan. But, because the juice and rind were cold the caramalised sugar just went solid in the bottom of the pan. So I was left with a toffee type coating on my nice pan with orange juice on top.

In the end I started again and kept the whole thing heating slowly as I added the juice and zest.

What did the recipe mean? Why didn't it work when I followed the recipe?TIA

harrislucinda, Mar 19, 7:44pm
maybethesugarshouldhavebeen acertaintempbeforeaddingjuice

seniorbones, Mar 19, 8:15pm
did you try reheating together again slowly? maybe heat the orange juice before adding it would have been colding hitting hot that has made the sugar solid.

lilyfield, Mar 19, 10:59pm
let the sugar cool next time- or heat the juice. No harm done in remelting your solid sugar and juice- end result is the same.

jakelou, Mar 20, 1:44am
Thanks. What I did was reheat the toffee stuff with the juice added to it.I'm no great cook so wondered if there was something I wasn't "getting" from the recipe.I'll just put some notes in it about heating things differently. Cheers.

zeta7, Mar 20, 1:59am
When I make caramel sauce and boil sugar and butter then add cold water cornflour it goes in to a ball and looks like it a big mess you keep on bringing to boil again and it combines again and makes a lovely sauce

jakelou, Mar 20, 7:35pm
The recipe says.
"Place sugar in a frying pan and heat slowly until sugar melts and caramalises.REMOVE FROM THE HEAT when the sugar is light golden as cooking continues after it is removed from the heat. Carefully stir in orange rind and juice, stirring until combined".

So I did this, removing the pan from the heat before putting the rind and orange juice in the pan. But, because the juice and rind were cold the caramalised sugar just went solid in the bottom of the pan. So I was left with a toffee type coating on my nice pan with orange juice on top.

In the end I started again and kept the whole thing heating slowly as I added the juice and zest.

What did the recipe mean! Why didn't it work when I followed the recipe!TIA

seniorbones, Mar 20, 8:15pm
did you try reheating together again slowly! maybe heat the orange juice before adding it would have been colding hitting hot that has made the sugar solid.

jakelou, Mar 21, 1:44am
Thanks. What I did was reheat the toffee stuff with the juice added to it.I'm no great cook so wondered if there was something I wasn't "getting" from the recipe.I'll just put some notes in it about heating things differently. Cheers.

sooty29, Mar 25, 8:19pm
Take caramelised sugar off the heat, keep stirring the sugar add about Tbls. liquidas you stir slowly till it blends in. This will cool the sugar a little then add rest of the liquid. ......

sooty29, Mar 26, 8:19pm
Take caramelised sugar off the heat, keep stirring the sugar add about Tbls. liquidas you stir slowly till it blends in. This will cool the sugar a little then add rest of the liquid. .