Advice please dodgy oven and baking

mommabean, Mar 17, 12:23am
Hi can someone help me.I am a relative newby when it comes to baking.I have an oven that runs very hot and consequently whatever i bake has a burned bum while the top isnt cooked yet.What can i do to offset a hot oven.Have tried lowering temp and lifting rack - just got a lovely tasting totally messed up chocolate cake out of the over!! Have also tried putting an oven tray underneath baking pans to try and slow heat down.Am i making it worse by lifting the rack because of the whole hot air rises thing??

cookessentials, Mar 17, 12:41am
I would get yourself an oven thermometer and set the oven temp at what a particualr recipe tells you and then see what temp the thermometer is telling you. Depending on what the temp is, then reduce that temp down so the thermometer reads the desired temp for the recipe. ie: if the temp for your recipe says 175C and your oven thermometer reads 200, then turn oven down until oven thermometer gives you a reading of 175C ( the oven will be telling you it is alot less ( like 25 degrees less) but so long ads the thermometer is giving you the correct reading, you should be ok.

mommabean, Mar 18, 12:23am
Hi can someone help me.I am a relative newby when it comes to baking.I have an oven that runs very hot and consequently whatever i bake has a burned bum while the top isnt cooked yet.What can i do to offset a hot oven.Have tried lowering temp and lifting rack - just got a lovely tasting totally messed up chocolate cake out of the over! Have also tried putting an oven tray underneath baking pans to try and slow heat down.Am i making it worse by lifting the rack because of the whole hot air rises thing!