Bread Makers- Consumers Institute

dalkemade, Mar 16, 7:33am
Does anyone know please what Bread Makers Consumers Institute say are the better ones.

katalin2, Mar 16, 7:49am
This is from their latest test: in order of recommendation:
panasonic sd257 @$300
sunbeam quantum smartbake bm7800 @$330
breville ikon bakers oven bbm600 @$330
sunbeam bakehouse bm35005 @$220

with each of them they had certain things they were not happy about- nothing major as far as I can see.

dalkemade, Mar 16, 8:25am
Thanks Katalin2, thats a big help.Do you happen to know if there were any that did not rate well at all?

katalin2, Mar 16, 6:48pm
These were the ones they did not choose: but they always only recommend the top few in their tests. The percentages were from how much they liked them:

Breville Bakers Oven BBM300
$270
70% 9.0 5.5
shop online

Cuisinart CBK100A
$300
69% 7.0 7.0

Breville Bakers Oven BBM100
$200
67% 8.5 4.5
shop online

Tefal Home Bread OW3001
$180
64% 6.5 6.5
shop online

Kenwood BM256
$199
52% 5.0 5.0
shop online

nzhel, Mar 17, 3:09am
Often local libraries have issues of the Consumer so you may be able to read the details yourself there.

magenta, Mar 17, 4:39am
I have a Quantum Smartbake (stupid name -maybe James Bond has one) I use it almost every day and it is still going after two years. I have worn out the breadpan recently and although I had to pay $100.00 for it, I still think it is worth it. I have a friend who has a Breville bought for a similar price. When his breadpan broke he could not even get a replacement and had to fork out for a new one.It is agreed by most posters on here that Panasonic machines are the best.I do not often actually bake the bread in breadmaker, I cook it in the oven in a tin.

dalkemade, Mar 17, 7:12am
Katalin2 Thank you so much for your time in giving me that information.
nzhel; Thanks for suggestion, I had tried that but never managed to find a breadmaker report in the available copies

dalkemade, Mar 17, 7:15am
Magenta- thats funny about James Bond! It seems that a few people only use breadmakers to mix bread then bake it in an oven.Interesting.

macandrosie, Mar 17, 7:55am
I have a sanyo bakehouse its about 8+ years old makes a larger than usual loaf, very reliable, never had any problem with it. Just bought one on trade me fo my daughter, great for just making dough for pinwheel buns, pizza or pita bread as well as bread.

katalin2, Mar 17, 8:06am
you are welcome dalkemede. I have an ancient one I bought for $50 second hand many years ago- goes perfectly well. However lately I have been using my large oval slow cooker as it makes such a huge loaf , using the recipe from here.
Unless you are going to use it every day and not just occasionally like most people, I suspect any of them would do the job.

donnabeth, Mar 17, 8:06am
I have a breville about 8 years old. It's worked hard in its time, but as it makes a huge family loaf, nowadays I use it more fore making dough for all sorts of creative shapes and flavours.

dalkemade, Mar 17, 8:25am
Thanks Katalin2, thats a big help.Do you happen to know if there were any that did not rate well at all!

donnabeth, Mar 18, 8:06am
I have a breville about 8 years old. It's worked hard in its time, but as it makes a huge family loaf, nowadays I use it more fore making dough for all sorts of creative shapes and flavours.

dalkemade, Mar 18, 8:36am
Thanks Donnabeth. Breville is a good brand. I have a Breville Yoghurt maker (electric) that is 40 years old and works great.

calista, Mar 18, 10:34pm
katalin, I thought that recipe was only for a small crockpot.Do you double it?

calista, Mar 19, 10:34pm
katalin, I thought that recipe was only for a small crockpot.Do you double it!