Mushrooms

Page 1 / 2
kevind7, Mar 15, 11:03pm
Have started growing my own mushrooms and need plenty of recipes

fisher, Mar 16, 1:58am
My favourite is to twist out the stalks, saving them to add to green salads for flavour...
Lay them out on an oven dish and add a pinch or two of either masterfoods onion salt or masterfoods garlic salt.. now a pinch or two of peri peri of chilli powder...and the a drizzle of olive oil...Place them close to a hot grill and cook until oil bubbles..(dont overcook till they go blackish)serve immediately..

fisher, Mar 16, 2:03am
Make a roux and add thick sliced mushrooms.. stir in gently to coat and add a good lot of fine chopped parsley and some fine chopped garlic... white pepper.. pinch of salt...
Great as a tasty side dish and also on toast with leftovers...

ant_sonja, Mar 16, 2:21am
I cook them very similar to that but make up a batch of garlic/chili/herb/salt butter and smear a good dollop of that onto each mushroom - into a hot oven for a bit and enjoy :-) Love mushrooms in any shape or form but done like this they are a definite favorite around here.

cookessentials, Mar 16, 2:44am
Our favourite is mushroom and blue cheese risotto

fisher, Mar 16, 2:44am
Anyone on here will tell you I'm a mad herb fan and grow all my own... It's good to make combination herb butters, rolled like a cigar in cling wrap and then tin foil... Into freezer... Just slice a knob off for BBQ steaks chops whatever...could plonk into mushrooms just as you have done... I just like the olive oil because it cooks the mushroom from the inside as well as being grilled on the outside...

fisher, Mar 16, 2:48am
cooky...yes a great tasty combination.. although its surprising just how many folks dont like blue cheese... the bluer the better for me...:}

cookessentials, Mar 16, 3:16am
I used to hate the stuff ( Dad used to eat blue vein cheese when we were kids and being a lincolnshire lad, loved it with apple pie!) i think the smell put me off...wont tell you what i thought it smelt like) When I met my DH, he introduced me to it and now i love it, however, I much prefer a creamy blue rather than say a Rocquefort (sp) Kikorangi would be one of my favourites and in a risotto it is just lovely.Think I might make one tonight actually LOL

kinna54, Mar 16, 4:15am
Gosh cookessentials that brought back memories. My nana used to make "black bun", (very dark made with burnt sugar and fruit,) the old Scots ate it with a thick slice of cheese and washed it down with a "wee dram"

kinna54, Mar 16, 4:17am
Ps. Just love the creamy blue...............

cookessentials, Mar 16, 10:41pm
yesp, Dad likes his blue cheese with a piece of apple pie or my old ( now deceased) aunties "farmhouse cake" made with lard and fruit and flour...it was mighty tasty too, very crumbly.but very tasty.

elliehen, Mar 16, 10:50pm
I chop the mushroom stalks with garlic and basil, put the mix on top of the mushrooms, drizzle with olive oil and grill.

BTW, for some reason, in Nelson, basil plants went mad this summer.Everyone is trying to give it away and no one wants any, because they've all got their own flourishing patches.

cookessentials, Mar 16, 10:56pm
An apple pie without cheese
Is like a kiss without a squeeze.

elliehen, Mar 16, 11:21pm
The Moms of American Apple Pie fame will agree with you :)

kevind7, Mar 16, 11:56pm
Thanks everyone, Will try some.I am growing Oyster mushroomsNever seen them before.

uli, Mar 17, 12:56am
Don't try to "grill" oyster mushrooms kevin!

greerg, Mar 17, 4:17am
Bacon and mushrooms in cream sauce on pasta - delicious and so quick.

fisher, Mar 17, 4:19am
yup.. greerg... bacon and mushrooms a great match...

kevind7, Mar 20, 11:32pm
Thanks uli,Good to know.

shelley39, Mar 21, 7:35am
I also add left over chicken

lindylambchops1, Mar 21, 9:15am
Would like to know more about you growing the mushrooms please.I see you are growing the oyster type.

beaker59, Mar 21, 7:34pm
Presumably one of those kits you can get at the garden centers Lindy.

Must be time for wild ones right now though EH!

kevind7, Mar 22, 12:22am
Yes lindylambchops1I started with a kit then made my own and transfered some of the spawn each time of harvest. Havent seen much of the wild ones this year.

pickles7, Mar 22, 12:36am
Yes, we had a crop of them growing on our lawn, two days ago. We impregnated the lawn two years ago with spawn.

jbsouthland, Mar 22, 12:55am
How lovely and please tell me where do you get the spawnfrom? My mum would love to grow her own Mushies.