Anyone cooking dessert tonight?

supercook, Mar 15, 10:41pm
I am making Homemade apple shortcake. Cooking own stewed apple. We are on budget so if we have small meal for dinner I will make a dessert to full up boys. We don't have dessert every night maybe once a week.

cookessentials, Mar 15, 11:07pm
I usually only do dessert if we are having guests for dinner, however, last night had a hankering for pancakes which we had with plenty of lemon juice, a little sugar and butter between each one.
I love apple shortcake and it is quite an economical dessert to make, especially if you have your own apples.

terachaos, Mar 15, 11:41pm
Made enough last night to stretch for a couple of days. Did a trifle with fresh blueberries, whipped cream and lemon curd...yummo. Love blueberries!

ant_sonja, Mar 15, 11:42pm
No desserts in this house usually but we do have sweet things like apple pancakes with cream or bacon with waffles & maple syrup for dinner every now and then :-)

kinna54, Mar 16, 12:50am
I make sponge puddings, self saucing choc pudding, crumbles, stewed fruit and ice cream, but not every night

gardie, Mar 16, 6:28am
Yummmm - apple pancakes - my Dad used to make these many moons ago - just feel like some now.Shame its way past dinnertime (in this house, anyway).

lizab, Mar 16, 6:51am
good idea to have a dessert after a small meal when on a budget supercook. In the winter, instead of making a dessert, you could have a soup starter instead :) (or all 3 courses!!) I made pancakes on Shrove Tuesday (first time in years) and realised what an economical dessert that actually was!! Have you visited the Destitute Gourmet's website? Sophie Gray is the mastermind behind it all and she has great cookbooks out too. She's also found on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Destitute-Gourmet/153769577986 http://www.destitutegourmet.com/

Bit of blurb from the website:

Budget cooking, cheap recipes, shoestring shopping, frugal food…

The low cost 'destitute gourmet' (dg) approach to cooking will really save you money in 2011
Spend less on groceries and enjoy better tasting meals; that are easy to prepare and your friends and family will love

dantes_auntie, Mar 16, 7:13am
apples in a can are great for that

supercook, Mar 16, 7:21am
Yes I have 3 of Sophie Grays cookbooks they are great inspiration. We did pancakes on Shrove Tuesday too.

lindylambchops1, Mar 16, 7:22am
Am alternating between desserts using apples or black boy peaches off the garden fruit trees!Had plenty of strawberries & raspberries during the summer.

cgvl, Mar 16, 9:55am
I did a bread and butter pudding with a twist. Lined the dish with buttered bread, filled the centre with previously cooked apple and chopped dried apricots, topped with a sprinkle of brown sugar and added the bread top.
made up a custard with the usual eggs, tsp sugar and milk, poured over top and then baked. Was very nice for a change and not stodgy like I usually make.

supercook, Mar 16, 10:41pm
I am making Homemade apple shortcake. Cooking own stewed apple. We are on budget so if we have small meal for dinner I will make a dessert to full up boys. We don't have dessert every night maybe once a week.

terachaos, Mar 16, 11:41pm
Made enough last night to stretch for a couple of days. Did a trifle with fresh blueberries, whipped cream and lemon curd.yummo. Love blueberries!

lizab, Mar 17, 6:51am
good idea to have a dessert after a small meal when on a budget supercook. In the winter, instead of making a dessert, you could have a soup starter instead :) (or all 3 courses!) I made pancakes on Shrove Tuesday (first time in years) and realised what an economical dessert that actually was! Have you visited the Destitute Gourmet's website! Sophie Gray is the mastermind behind it all and she has great cookbooks out too. She's also found on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Destitute-Gourmet/153769577986 http://www.destitutegourmet.com/

Bit of blurb from the website:

Budget cooking, cheap recipes, shoestring shopping, frugal food…

The low cost 'destitute gourmet' (dg) approach to cooking will really save you money in 2011
Spend less on groceries and enjoy better tasting meals; that are easy to prepare and your friends and family will love

supercook, Mar 17, 7:21am
Yes I have 3 of Sophie Grays cookbooks they are great inspiration. We did pancakes on Shrove Tuesday too.