Suggestions please .. need recipes that are....

tipsy_bl0nde, Mar 15, 7:29am
quick and easy. Ive just started uni this year and hubby and has to pick up daughter from daycare 2 days per week. i am looking for any recipes you could recommend that i could prepare in the morning in the crock pot or takes very little time.

He works very hard so trying to make it as easy as possible for him because i dont get home until 8pm. He picks her up at 6 so dinner needs to be ready in a flash other wise she gets tired and grumpy (after a day at daycare i dont blame her)

Help please im stuck for ideas

jenner4, Mar 15, 8:29am
When I make lasagna I make it in foil baking pans and make 6 at a time , and when ever I use the crock pot I make sure its enough for 3 meals , when I do a roast or corned beef I like to cook a bit large enough for 3/4 meals , when I freezeit I all so do containers of gravy/ mustard sauce, , Mince stew is a good stand by for the freezer, you can eat it with lots of veg or the night before do lots of mash potatoes and make potatoe top pie , make a very thickveg soup with beans in and every veg you can get , pick up a crusty bread stick on way home and bobs your uncle

fisher, Mar 16, 2:06am
tipsy_bl0nde..
just make HUGE meals of what you do now... freeze half laid out on plates...
Just need to microwave to heat up and he can make a quick gravy or sauce to add..

kinna54, Mar 16, 3:12am
For years I led a frantic run of after school sports and activities, (and now it's with the grandkids)so I know the feeling. Try Mac cheese, can be made in under 15mins from scratch) serve with peas (2min in microwave), and tasty bread.I also used to make ahead of timea lot of casseroles/hotpots, shepherd's pies that could just simmer gently in the oven My slow cooker was/is invaluable. Like the fisher post make 1 freeze 1 is a good thing, then simply reheat.
I use my microwave a lot, can turn out bacon, egg, hash browns and peas in 10mins.

kinna54, Mar 16, 4:10am
Rice Risotto and stir fry's are another goodie.

duckmoon, Mar 16, 9:52am
one of my favourite crockpot recipes is:

good quality sausages (i get them from a local butcher, but something nice owuld do)
chop each sausage into three pieces; add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a tin of whole kernel corn and a tin of drained chickpeas...

cook on low until sausages are cooked...

every one loves it; and iwth the chickpeas doesn't need a carb cooked

toadfish, Mar 16, 4:59pm
I always make double and freeze... Sometimes at night and sometimes I just make 2 mince meals on the weekend. My suggestion is to buy a few cheap casserole dishes from the op shop.That way they are frozen how you want them. Otherwise I use ice cream containers or chinese takeaway containers.
For the Lasagnes & Cottage Pies.. I put these in the oven in the morning frozen and set the automatic timer... and you come home to a meal cooked.
Also a ricecooker is really useful.

Meals I keep in my freezer
Fishers Meatballs
Meat Balls in Red Sauce
Chilli con carne - can have with rice, corn chips or tortillas.
Spaghetti Bolaignaise
Cottage Pie
Lasagne
Soups

When boneless chicken is on special I buy in bulk and the use the cheap pams snaplock bags - (sandwich size) and freeze meal portions all chopped up ready to go.... I freeze these flat so they stack in the freezer... We use Pataks Butter Chicken - half a jar does our family of 4 and the other half goes in the freezer for next time.Or they can be done as a quick stir fry
Also don't forget frozen vegetables... not as nice as fresh (In my opinion) but these are nutritionally good and ready in a few minutes.
Hamburgers with good quality meat.... For a small child a whole meal in its self... meat, carbs & salad.When the girls we called in Mc"Surname"'s night... maybe thats a ritual daddy and daughter can do... cook there favourite meal together.... she could place the salad in the bun.... that could be her bit... children like to help

Also chop up some carrot sticks and celery and keep in the fridge this way she can have her vegies before the meal to keep her happy.

evorotorua, Mar 16, 5:40pm
I might not be too much help but you can also do little things in advance like having a container of grated cheese ready in fridge, it just takes one less thing to do if making mac and cheese or pizza etc. Definitelyhaving plates of food ready for the microwave is a magic idea. Then the basic meal can be freshed up with some chopped tomatoes, lettuce and grated cheese. Sounds like you have a busy, hectic time.

evorotorua, Mar 16, 5:42pm
Toadie, I love the idea of eating the vegies while she waits. I bet she would like frozen peas in a cup like my kids did. It really doesn't matter, in fact, it's good for her.

fisher, Mar 17, 2:06am
tipsy_bl0nde.
just make HUGE meals of what you do now. freeze half laid out on plates.
Just need to microwave to heat up and he can make a quick gravy or sauce to add.

kinna54, Mar 17, 3:12am
For years I led a frantic run of after school sports and activities, (and now it's with the grandkids)so I know the feeling. Try Mac cheese, can be made in under 15mins from scratch) serve with peas (2min in microwave), and tasty bread.I also used to make ahead of timea lot of casseroles/hotpots, shepherd's pies that could just simmer gently in the oven My slow cooker was/is invaluable. Like the fisher post make 1 freeze 1 is a good thing, then simply reheat.
I use my microwave a lot, can turn out bacon, egg, hash browns and peas in 10mins.

evorotorua, Mar 17, 3:15am
Thinking about this today... There's nothing wrong with a really simple dinner of toasted sandwiches either. It's two days a week and with tomato, ham, cheese, its a reasonable meal for a child. Some kind of fruit for dessert. Keep it simple and enjoy the time you have. It's not always this way and the other five nights can be 'better'. It's not an easy job you have either of you and your child will love the time spent with her Dad if they have a simple meal together instead of him (and you) stressing to get it together. My friend has been known to feed her family plums and popcorn for dinner!!!! They are healthy, happy and well cared for children. It's not every night (and in her case not ever again!) but it's all good. Take some stress out of your life is my message.

kinna54, Mar 17, 4:10am
Rice Risotto and stir fry's are another goodie.

duckmoon, Mar 17, 9:52am
one of my favourite crockpot recipes is:

good quality sausages (i get them from a local butcher, but something nice owuld do)
chop each sausage into three pieces; add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a tin of whole kernel corn and a tin of drained chickpeas.

cook on low until sausages are cooked.

every one loves it; and iwth the chickpeas doesn't need a carb cooked

evorotorua, Mar 17, 5:42pm
Toadie, I love the idea of eating the vegies while she waits. I bet she would like frozen peas in a cup like my kids did. It really doesn't matter, in fact, it's good for her.

evorotorua, Mar 18, 3:15am
Thinking about this today. There's nothing wrong with a really simple dinner of toasted sandwiches either. It's two days a week and with tomato, ham, cheese, its a reasonable meal for a child. Some kind of fruit for dessert. Keep it simple and enjoy the time you have. It's not always this way and the other five nights can be 'better'. It's not an easy job you have either of you and your child will love the time spent with her Dad if they have a simple meal together instead of him (and you) stressing to get it together. My friend has been known to feed her family plums and popcorn for dinner! They are healthy, happy and well cared for children. It's not every night (and in her case not ever again!) but it's all good. Take some stress out of your life is my message.