Deviled eggs

suzanna, Mar 14, 2:31am
I am told that deviled eggs are doing a huge 'comeback' and a friend of mine who's good friend is a Michelin Star chef at the Spotted Pig in New York has shared the following recipe which is delicious. We ate these at the Spotted Pig and I recommend them highly as a twist on the old curried eggs.
12 Large eggs
2T EVOO and more for drizzling
1T white wine vinegar
1tsp malt vinegar
Maldon sea salt
Peperoncino red chili flakes ground
3T chopped chives
Place eggs in single layer in medium saucepan. Cover with cold water about 2cms higher than the eggs. Place over high heat, bring to a simmer, turn off heat and wait for at least ten minutes. Drain eggs and peel under cool running water. Carefully slice eggs in half.

suzanna, Mar 14, 2:36am
Cntd
Place eggs in food processor. Add olive oil, mayo, mustard and both vinegars and process until smooth puree. Add salt to taste.
Transfer mix to a piping bag and select the best 12 egg halves. Pipe mixture intoeggs by starting outside the indentation and completely filling the indentation and leaving a curly 'tail' at the end.
Sprinkle eggs with maldon salt, chilli and chives. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.

suzanna, Mar 14, 2:41am
When making deviled eggs:
the older the eggs the better. Place the eggs in a bowl of water. Eggs that lay on their side are fresh whilst eggs that stand on one end are better to use as they are easier to peel.
To get the egg yolks centred, lay the eggs on their sides for a day before use.
Cook eggs in one layer with about 2cms of water above the eggs as using too much water will throw off the timing for cooking eggs.
Don't overcook as this creates a green layer to form around around the yolk.
Enjoy.

falcon-hell, Mar 14, 3:18am
yum,i love them,excuse my ignorance what is EVOO?

petal1955, Mar 14, 3:19am
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

falcon-hell, Mar 14, 3:47am
thanks petal,i have heard rachel ray say it when shes cooking-i had no idea.

bappy, Mar 14, 8:03pm
Suzanna, when you put it in the food processor, do you put the yolk and the white or just the yolk?I sort of remember a recipe where they use just the yolk but added some tuna to it.Is that called something else?

elliehen, Mar 14, 8:41pm
Devilled eggs never went away in our house and I use a Masterfoods creamy mustard called Dijonnaise - a mixture of Dijon mustard and mayonnaise - to mash through the egg yolks.

elliehen, Mar 14, 8:44pm
A further hint to prevent this is to plunge the just-boiled eggs into cold water (I add ice blocks) to cool them quickly.

suzanna, Mar 15, 12:20am
Oops sorry bappy...yes you put the yolks into the food processor. No reason why you couldn't add tuna if you love it as long as the mix didn't become too stiff to pipe. I love these as so many others I have had have been very sweet with no flavour. Thanks for the post and correction. Enjoy and hey if you make them with tuna please let us know how they are. Cheers.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 15, 12:30am
Try mashing in some avocado for green eggs. Mmm!

___ellajac___, Mar 15, 12:45am
I like the sound of that!

margyr, Mar 15, 1:40am
The last 2 Christmas Eves I have done eggs like this, but mash the yolks with condensed milk dressing, and a pinch of curry powder. They are the first things to go, and those that were here the 1st Christmas Eve asked this one if I had done those yummy egg things again.

suzanna, Mar 15, 2:31am
I am told that deviled eggs are doing a huge 'comeback' and a friend of mine who's good friend is a Michelin Star chef at the Spotted Pig in New York has shared the following recipe which is delicious. We ate these at the Spotted Pig and I recommend them highly as a twist on the old curried eggs.
12 Large eggs
2T EVOO and more for drizzling
1T dijon mustard
1T mayonnaise
1T white wine vinegar
1tsp malt vinegar
Maldon sea salt
Peperoncino red chili flakes ground
3T chopped chives
Place eggs in single layer in medium saucepan. Cover with cold water about 2cms higher than the eggs. Place over high heat, bring to a simmer, turn off heat and wait for at least ten minutes. Drain eggs and peel under cool running water. Carefully slice eggs in half.

suzanna, Mar 15, 2:36am
Cntd
Place eggs in food processor. Add olive oil, mayo, mustard and both vinegars and process until smooth puree. Add salt to taste.
Transfer mix to a piping bag and select the best 12 egg halves. Pipe mixture intoeggs by starting outside the indentation and completely filling the indentation and leaving a curly 'tail' at the end.
Sprinkle eggs with maldon salt, chilli and chives. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.

suzanna, Mar 15, 2:41am
When making deviled eggs:
the older the eggs the better. Place the eggs in a bowl of water. Eggs that lay on their side are fresh whilst eggs that stand on one end are better to use as they are easier to peel.
To get the egg yolks centred, lay the eggs on their sides for a day before use.
Cook eggs in one layer with about 2cms of water above the eggs as using too much water will throw off the timing for cooking eggs.
Don't overcook as this creates a green layer to form around around the yolk.
Enjoy.

falcon-hell, Mar 15, 3:18am
yum,i love them,excuse my ignorance what is EVOO!

bappy, Mar 15, 8:03pm
Suzanna, when you put it in the food processor, do you put the yolk and the white or just the yolk!I sort of remember a recipe where they use just the yolk but added some tuna to it.Is that called something else!

suzanna, Mar 16, 12:20am
Oops sorry bappy.yes you put the yolks into the food processor. No reason why you couldn't add tuna if you love it as long as the mix didn't become too stiff to pipe. I love these as so many others I have had have been very sweet with no flavour. Thanks for the post and correction. Enjoy and hey if you make them with tuna please let us know how they are. Cheers.