Making chilli oil

welderman, Mar 12, 5:34am
x1
i have an abundance of chilli,s starting to ripen, and am sick of paying $25 a bottle for chilli oil, (we go through so much)the last time i tried to make some, the chilli,s went mouldy. Does anyone have a failsafe recipe that keeps well.

jessie981, Mar 12, 6:13am
Check out lefthand message board. Key in chilli oil, then in date posted put anytime. Recipes there.

welderman, Mar 12, 7:48am
sorry, dont know what you mean by "left hand message board"

elliehen, Mar 12, 8:00am
Top left sidebar on this page says 'Message board'.Under that, 'Recipes'.Put 'Chilli oil' in the search field under 'Keyword or member'and then under 'Date posted', click the down arrow and choose 'Anytime'.All the previous threads with advice on chilli oil will appear :)

nzbadger, Mar 12, 8:50pm

elliehen, Mar 13, 8:00am
Top left sidebar on this page says 'Message board'.Under that, 'Recipes'.Put 'Chilli oil' in the search field under 'Keyword or member'and then under 'Date posted', click the down arrow and choose 'Anytime'.All the previous threads with advice on chilli oil will appear :)

jag5, Mar 13, 9:24am
The commercially produced ones are done with the necessary safety nets in place.Home made you do run the risk of poisoning yourself, and/or getting botulism.Do be careful.

With my chillis I dry them, make Sweet Chilli Sauce, and Chilli Sambal...like a chilli jam.

omokoroa1, Mar 13, 11:32pm
x1
ok since we got a chilli thing happening has anybody got a recipe for pickled chillies? oops damn dont even know if there is such a name but i have tried them they where in some sort of vinegar solution

jag5, Mar 14, 7:53am
I do Pickled Peppers (Capsicums) and they are yummy.....don't know about Chilli's though

fisher, Mar 14, 8:33am
welderman... Pick your chillies when nice and red, wash and dry, place in a labelled zip top bag, removing air and place in freezer... when you need chilli oil.. remove a few and slit lengthways and remove seeds.. place some cheap olive oil into a small frypan, about half a cup and turn heat up to high to cook the oil and once bubbling hot, turn the heat off.. Immediately place the strips of chillies into the oil, skin side up and swirl around in the oil.. leave loosely covered on the stove until it cools and pour ALL into a glass and place this into the refrigerator covered for 2 days.. strain the oil into a small bottle and use within the following week or so...I find it best to make small quantities when and as needed...

fisher, Mar 14, 8:57am
just to add... boil the small bottle for about 5-10 mins including the cap... I strain thru muslin cloth which is sitting in a sieve...can be a bit slow and time consuming but necessary...

jag5, Mar 14, 9:24am
The commercially produced ones are done with the necessary safety nets in place.Home made you do run the risk of poisoning yourself, and/or getting botulism.Do be careful.

With my chillis I dry them, make Sweet Chilli Sauce, and Chilli Sambal.like a chilli jam.

welderman, Mar 14, 10:40am
thanks guys, jag 5 how do you make your sweet chilli sauce

omokoroa1, Mar 14, 11:32pm
ok since we got a chilli thing happening has anybody got a recipe for pickled chillies! oops damn dont even know if there is such a name but i have tried them they where in some sort of vinegar solution

jag5, Mar 15, 7:53am
I do Pickled Peppers (Capsicums) and they are yummy.don't know about Chilli's though

fisher, Mar 15, 8:33am
welderman. Pick your chillies when nice and red, wash and dry, place in a labelled zip top bag, removing air and place in freezer. when you need chilli oil. remove a few and slit lengthways and remove seeds. place some cheap olive oil into a small frypan, about half a cup and turn heat up to high to cook the oil and once bubbling hot, turn the heat off. Immediately place the strips of chillies into the oil, skin side up and swirl around in the oil. leave loosely covered on the stove until it cools and pour ALL into a glass and place this into the refrigerator covered for 2 days. strain the oil into a small bottle and use within the following week or so.I find it best to make small quantities when and as needed.

fisher, Mar 15, 8:57am
just to add. boil the small bottle for about 5-10 mins including the cap. I strain thru muslin cloth which is sitting in a sieve.can be a bit slow and time consuming but necessary.