Sandwich Question

poppysinger2, Mar 11, 3:20am
I am going to take a plate or 2 of sandwiches to a gathering tomorrow , if I make them tonight will they be manky by tomorrow lunchtimeor is there a way of keeping them fresh overnight ?I was thinking some club ones and some swirl ones .

seniorbones, Mar 11, 3:34am
depends what you put in them, tomato would go soggy. I make chicken rolls - like asparagus but chicken mixed with mayo and I make them night before and they are fine covered with gladwrap and a damp muslin in the fridge. you could always just get everything ready tonight and whip them up in the morning if your worried.

poppysinger2, Mar 11, 3:49am
thank you , I thought that I remembered my gran doing something with a damp teatowel , but not sure what exactly ... would you put gladwarp on top of teatowel ?

kinna54, Mar 11, 4:19am
Avoid any wet fillings, definitely not tomato. my advice would be as senior bones, to prepare all your fillings overnight and maybe even pre-butter the bread and stack back in your bread bags, keeping airtight,(not in fridge it will go hard) then the next day you are ready to go. As I mentioned in another thread a fast way and an alternate option is to make rolls (as in asparagus type rolls) using different fillings i.e ham cream cheese, frilly lettuce, chicken, frilly lettuce& mayo, just roll corner to corner. If you are making sandwiches and storing them the damp cloth (damp not sopping wet) over the glad wrap is ok, but I prefer the damp cloth over the sandwiches and then cover the entire plate with one of the plastic food covers.(the ones that look like showercaps). Good luck.

kinna54, Mar 11, 4:20am
PS to make sammies in a hurry an electric knife is a must! will always give you the perfect no squash cut.

duckmoon, Mar 11, 4:54am
how many are you taking... because I can do a loaf of bread into asparagus rolls in fifteen minutes...
so if you have your fillings ready, they don't take long to make up, if you can turn your kitchen into a production line.

poppysinger2, Mar 12, 3:20am
I am going to take a plate or 2 of sandwiches to a gathering tomorrow , if I make them tonight will they be manky by tomorrow lunchtimeor is there a way of keeping them fresh overnight !I was thinking some club ones and some swirl ones .

poppysinger2, Mar 12, 3:49am
thank you , I thought that I remembered my gran doing something with a damp teatowel , but not sure what exactly . would you put gladwarp on top of teatowel !

duckmoon, Mar 12, 4:54am
how many are you taking. because I can do a loaf of bread into asparagus rolls in fifteen minutes.
so if you have your fillings ready, they don't take long to make up, if you can turn your kitchen into a production line.