Using soy milk in baking

sarahb5, Mar 5, 4:25am
I got given a free sample 1 litre of Vitasoy which no-one here will actually drink (although I might use it in a smoothie) so was just wondering if I can use it in my baking instead without it affecting the flavour?

ribzuba, Mar 5, 4:27am
it will change the flavour, but not too dramatically depending on the flavour of the cake

sarahb5, Mar 5, 4:27am
Just wondering if I can get away with hiding it in chocolate cake or banana-chocolate ...

nfh1, Mar 5, 4:46am
One of them is brown - I think it is the organic one - it will take some hiding!I use Soy Milk in porridge and bought the organic and my porridge went brown - tasted okay but did not look pretty!

frances1266, Mar 5, 5:33am
I always use soy milk in baking - no difference in taste at all.

sarahb5, Mar 5, 10:48pm
Well I've used it in my chocolate cake - it is definitely a creamy/beige rather than white but there was no-one here to see what went into it so hopefully they won't notice!Seemed a pity to waste it and I can't have too much soy because of thyroid issues so better to give it to the kids/hubby, and if I put plenty of icing on the cake they'll probably never know ...

sarahb5, Mar 6, 4:25am
I got given a free sample 1 litre of Vitasoy which no-one here will actually drink (although I might use it in a smoothie) so was just wondering if I can use it in my baking instead without it affecting the flavour!

sarahb5, Mar 6, 4:27am
Just wondering if I can get away with hiding it in chocolate cake or banana-chocolate .

sarahb5, Mar 6, 10:48pm
Well I've used it in my chocolate cake - it is definitely a creamy/beige rather than white but there was no-one here to see what went into it so hopefully they won't notice!Seemed a pity to waste it and I can't have too much soy because of thyroid issues so better to give it to the kids/hubby, and if I put plenty of icing on the cake they'll probably never know .