Silver cachous/balls question

spoeklet, Mar 3, 8:54pm
Hi everyone,
I am making some gingerbread biscuits for the Christchurch charity baking stall tomorrow - I have a question. In the past I have had trouble getting the silver balls (for eyes) to stay in the royal icing. I'm going to try and get the royal icing stiffer this time. Is this a common problem - should I be using something else for eyes?
Thanks for your help - I hope we sell lots of biscuits!

sarahb5, Mar 3, 9:18pm
We always used currants - put them in before you bake the biscuits and no problems at all - have never iced a gingerbread person, just used currants for the facial features and sometimes Smarties for buttons although the M&M chocolate bits might be better

spoeklet, Mar 3, 9:22pm
They are already baked - might see if they have black icing colour at the shops to just pipe an eye - they're animal shaped biscuits.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 3, 9:26pm
You shouldn't have that problem as long as the RI is wet when you put the cachous on it? You are right though, consistency is important. It should be like whipped cream (though not as airy). Good luck - I hope you sell lots too :)

greerg, Mar 3, 9:31pm
Small blob of icing with the very end of a licorice lace to form the iris looks quite good - if a bit fierce sometimes! and the licorice seems to stay in the royal icing better.Thank you from Christchurch.

spoeklet, Mar 3, 9:34pm
Probably the licorice will look better on farm animal biscuits. Thanks for the tips guys. For Auckland peeps, see my other thread on the bake sale in Auckland if you want to help out or just come along and buy some stuff. :~D

spoeklet, Mar 4, 8:54pm
Hi everyone,
I am making some gingerbread biscuits for the Christchurch charity baking stall tomorrow - I have a question. In the past I have had trouble getting the silver balls (for eyes) to stay in the royal icing. I'm going to try and get the royal icing stiffer this time. Is this a common problem - should I be using something else for eyes!
Thanks for your help - I hope we sell lots of biscuits!

spoeklet, Mar 4, 9:22pm
They are already baked - might see if they have black icing colour at the shops to just pipe an eye - they're animal shaped biscuits.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 4, 9:26pm
You shouldn't have that problem as long as the RI is wet when you put the cachous on it! You are right though, consistency is important. It should be like whipped cream (though not as airy). Good luck - I hope you sell lots too :)