Does anyone have a Gluteen Free Cake Recipes

sunshinebay, Feb 28, 10:56pm
I am a teacher aide and we have birthday buddys my one this year is Gluteen Free.Has anybody got any good recipes for a morning tea shout.I have to do 4 things one a birthday cake and the other 3 something for everyone to nibble on.I would be greatful of any suggestions.

margyr, Feb 28, 11:28pm
hi there, just on the left is a box headed message board, in the keyword or member type gluten free then in the date posted click on the little arrow on the right and then anytime then click search, you will find quite alot of recipes there.

ppppaula, Mar 1, 6:56am
I make this regularly for someone who has to have a starch and dairy free diet.

Bill Granger's Mandarin & Almond Cake

3 mandarins
250g (1cup) caster sugar
6 eggs
230g (2cups) ground almonds

Put mandarins in medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer 2 hours (adding water if necessary).

Oven to 160 deg. Drain mandarins and cool to room temp. Split them open and remove seeds (so best with seedless ones!) Puree, including the skin in blender or food processor.

Whisk sugar and eggs together until combined. Add ground almonds and mandarin puree. Stir thoroughly. Pour mixture into well greased 24cm springform cake tin and bake 1 hour & 10 mins or until the cake looks set in middle (better slightly over than under cooked for this one and you can't really wreck it unless you have the oven at the wrong temp). Cool in tin.

Now...here you could decorate however suits but he suggests: 1/4 cup caster sugar in saucepan with 1/4 cup water. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Add zest of 2 oranges and boil mixture until it just starts to caramelise. Lift zest out with fork and cool on a plate. Sprinkle over cake.

leebee35, Mar 1, 8:36am
do a search as suggested above -I loadeda fab chocolate brownie one a couple of months back..

ppppaula, Mar 2, 6:56am
I make this regularly for someone who has to have a starch and dairy free diet.

Bill Granger's Mandarin & Almond Cake

3 mandarins
250g (1cup) caster sugar
6 eggs
230g (2cups) ground almonds

Put mandarins in medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer 2 hours (adding water if necessary).

Oven to 160 deg. Drain mandarins and cool to room temp. Split them open and remove seeds (so best with seedless ones!) Puree, including the skin in blender or food processor.

Whisk sugar and eggs together until combined. Add ground almonds and mandarin puree. Stir thoroughly. Pour mixture into well greased 24cm springform cake tin and bake 1 hour & 10 mins or until the cake looks set in middle (better slightly over than under cooked for this one and you can't really wreck it unless you have the oven at the wrong temp). Cool in tin.

Now.here you could decorate however suits but he suggests: 1/4 cup caster sugar in saucepan with 1/4 cup water. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Add zest of 2 oranges and boil mixture until it just starts to caramelise. Lift zest out with fork and cool on a plate. Sprinkle over cake.

leebee35, Mar 2, 8:36am
do a search as suggested above -I loadeda fab chocolate brownie one a couple of months back.

hesian, Mar 2, 8:44pm
Scream - trade me logged me out while writing this so start again:
Most conventional recipes will work if you double the baking powder and substitute same amount gluten free flour. Can buy this or make up.Bin Inn best source.their recipe of proportions is
1 C maize cornflour
2 C rice flour
2 C soy flour
3 C potato flour

If soy flour an issue (some allergic) mix equal parts of rice, buckwheat - this is a grass type flour, and tapioca.

My fastest easiest recipe:

1 whole orange (or 1-2 lemons, or 4- 5 pitted stone fruit or 5 -6 whole feijoas in season)
100 ml rice bran oil (or 125 gr softened butter or non dairy fat)
1 cup sugar
2 med eggs (I use 3 eggs if I double the recipe)
1 and half C of flour
4 teaspoon of dairy free baking powder

Whizz the whole fruit (yes, pith and skin).Add the rest.Bake at 180 in lined loaf or small cake tin for 30 - 35 mins.Check near end.Can ice or sprinkle icing sugar.Always need to double check ingredients for hidden gluten.

For kids fruit balls with whizzed rice flakes instead of oats, or those cornflake patty choco tasties etcJust again that issue of hidden gluten in cocoa.

Can get expensive.

Also as you a teacher wouldnt think you have a lot of time!!!

NZ is streets ahead of the rest of the world in gluten free.In UK health shops and supermarkets dont serve this area at all well and bread tastes like cardboard.Good on us eh for awareness and glad you helping younger generation.

angie461, Mar 3, 1:03pm
Guacamole with vege sticks and rice crackers.Rocky road with gf marshmellows. Ambrosia..yoghurt cream gf marshmellows/Make your own wedges with sour cream.Chocolate mousse.Ice cream with home made chocor berry sauce. Peanut butter cups.Fruit kebabs.

hesian, Mar 3, 8:44pm
Scream - trade me logged me out while writing this so start again:
Most conventional recipes will work if you double the baking powder and substitute same amount gluten free flour. Can buy this or make up.Bin Inn best source.their recipe of proportions is
1 C maize cornflour
2 C rice flour
2 C soy flour
3 C potato flour

If soy flour an issue (some allergic) mix equal parts of rice, buckwheat - this is a grass type flour, and tapioca.

My fastest easiest recipe:

1 whole orange (or 1-2 lemons, or 4- 5 pitted stone fruit or 5 -6 whole feijoas in season)
100 ml rice bran oil (or 125 gr softened butter or non dairy fat)
1 cup sugar
2 med eggs (I use 3 eggs if I double the recipe)
1 and half C of flour
4 teaspoon of dairy free baking powder

Whizz the whole fruit (yes, pith and skin).Add the rest.Bake at 180 in lined loaf or small cake tin for 30 - 35 mins.Check near end.Can ice or sprinkle icing sugar.Always need to double check ingredients for hidden gluten.

For kids fruit balls with whizzed rice flakes instead of oats, or those cornflake patty choco tasties etcJust again that issue of hidden gluten in cocoa.

Can get expensive.

Also as you a teacher wouldnt think you have a lot of time!

NZ is streets ahead of the rest of the world in gluten free.In UK health shops and supermarkets dont serve this area at all well and bread tastes like cardboard.Good on us eh for awareness and glad you helping younger generation.