HELP!!! JAM WON'T SET!

diddlypop, Feb 25, 8:57am
I made some strawberry jam this afternoon with jam setting sugar - seemed like a fool proof way - but somehow the jam won't set.I followed the recipe from the sugar packet but ommitted the knob of butter.What now?

pickles7, Feb 25, 9:17am
The knob of butter is not the problem..Lack of a good rolling boiling, too smaller pot, so there wasn't a good evaporation..I would strongly suggest buying a sugar thermometer, before making jam again.

91laserboy, Feb 25, 9:30am
the knob of butter clears the jam and gets rid of the frothy scum.
you may not have cooked it for long enough.
a good way to know if its done is to put a spoonfull on a saucer and leave to cool placing in fridgeor freezer helps if it slides around the plate fairly easy its not ready.
i dont have a sugar thermometer and will never bother buying one, dont need it

diddlypop, Feb 25, 9:35am
Do you think if I boiled the whole lot again with some extra sugar it will set?Seems such a shame to waste it.

pickles7, Feb 25, 9:49am
You will find the cost of a sugar thermometer, well worth it.
I don't test jam any more, just cook to the right temp. it sets every time. I found I was getting 2 or 3 more jars of marmalade, after I started to use the thermometer, It also comes in handy if you make candy, takes all the guess work away. You take the risk of burning the jam, reboiling it. Could you use it as topping, or add it to peaches for sponge pudding. Cheese cake, muffins etc.

juliewn, Feb 25, 11:11am
Hi.. it probably needed extra time boiling to reach setting point..

Yes, you can re-boil the jam - no need to add more sugar.. however if you add the juice of a lemon, it will help with setting.

Bring the jam to a boil, heating very slowly and stirring often, so it doesn't stick onto the base of your saucepan and burn.

Once boiling, keep stirring regularly, and keep at what's called a rolling boil - where there isn't any spurting up as it boils, and the movement is even and continual.
While this is happening, wash the jars well, and place into your oven to sterilise them.

After 10 minutes of the jam boiling, keep a regular check to see whether it's reached a setting point - check by stirring the jam and then place a tablespoonful of it onto a saucer or plate. Spread it out a little and place the dish into the fridge.. leave a minute or two, then run your finger across the middle of the jam, so you wipe off a strip across the width of the jam.

Watch - if the jam stays apart, it's ready to bottle - if it runs back together, boil an extra 5 to 7 minutes, and check again.. and keep checking regularly till setting point is reached..

Bottle.. and place lids or seals on, and leave to cool.

Enjoy your delicious jam..

diddlypop, Feb 25, 8:23pm
Thank you all.I think my problem was lack of good boiling.Will go and do it now.