Recipes that use curry leaves?????

nunesy, Feb 21, 10:22pm
I bought some fresh curry leaves for a recipe but now don't know of any other way to use them... any ideas?Thanks.

claire30, Feb 23, 3:26am
You can freeze them in a plastic bag and use as wanted.I use them in most curries and add them after the onions and before the curry powder as taught to me by Indian friends.

davidt4, Feb 23, 5:06am
Here's an recipe from South India.Let me know if you want any others similar as I use curry leaves a lot.

Eggplant Kerala Style

Serves 5

8 – 10 small eggplants
½ c grated coconut
1 tsp coriander seeds
4 dried red chillies
½ tsp cumin seeds
3 tab oil
¼ tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 stalk curry leaves
2 large onions, finely chopped
½ tsp tumeric
1 tab coriander leaves, finely chopped
2 tab tamarind pulp
salt

Remove stems of eggplants, make cross-incision in base.Soak in salted water 10 min.

Toast coconut in dry pan 1 min, add chillies, coriander, cumin, toast 1 min.Grind to a med-coarse powder.

Heat oil in heavy pan, add mustard seeds and when they splutter add ginger, garlic & curry leaves.Stir and add onions & tumeric and sauté until onions are tender.

Stir and add spice powder, stir 2 min, add 2 c water, salt and eggplants.Cover and simmer 15 min, stirring occasionally.Add tamarind and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed and the oil is separating out.

Garnish with coriander, serve with rice.

dollertree, Feb 23, 10:10am
Curry leaves give good smell in food. Its used in almost all indian food that we cook. While frying onion in oil add these leaves......like i will give you goat curry recipe.........
GOAT CURRY

1kg goat meat cut into bite-sized pieces
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 small chillies, minced
1cm ginger, peeled and grated
salt to taste
2 tbsp of olive oil
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin powder or seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 cinnamon stick
6 cloves
4 whole cardamoms, crushed
2 tsp curry powder or paste
6 curry leaves
1 tomato, chopped
coriander leaves, chopped, for garnish

Add the olive oil to a medium pot and heat, then add the onions, seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamoms and curry leaves. Stir and cook for two minutes then add the garlic, along with the turmeric and curry powder. Stir and cook for a minute before adding the goat and salt. Stir, cover and cook on medium, stirring every five minutes or so. After 15 minutes add the tomato.
A about 50ml water to prevent sticking. Cook for a further 45 minutes,adding more water if needed. Then, transfer to a bowl, and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with rice.

pat56, Feb 23, 10:20am
dollertree, would this suit beef or chicken and could mix be tranfered to slow cooker after the frying?

dollertree, Feb 23, 10:29am
Yes.....just take goat out and add any other meat you love, other ingredients remains same. You have to cook first in fry pan....because the water that comes out of meat has to dry then you transfer in slow cooker and add water to your preference. Also depands how soft you want.......i cook in normal pot as goat is not that hard but its you choice.