Muesli

tarshlove, Feb 21, 7:46pm
I brought 3kg's of Natural Muesli but the kids don't like it. In the muesli is Rolled oats, Raisins, apricot, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sultanas, coconut. This morning I heated a pan under the grill added a tablespoon of honey threw in some muesli and toasted it. Does anyone know of an easier way to toast it OR recipes to used it up? TYIA

olwen, Feb 21, 7:51pm
Put it in a roasting dish and into the oven to toast it

lx4000, Feb 21, 7:52pm
No bake best ever muesli slice.

125g butter
3/4c brown sugar
1/2c peanut butter
1/2c honey

1 c rolled oats
1 c rice bubbles
4 crushed weetbix
1 c coconut
1/2 - 1c dried fruit

Note that this is the basic mix only. Add in all types of seeds, nuts if you wish, cranberries, chopped apricots - anything goes. Try different cereals, different grains, etc.

Method:

Place first 4 ingredients into a microwave safe bowl and cook, stirring often for 5 minutes.
Combine all other ingredients in a large bowl and pour over the hotmix. Mix well and press into a rectangular tupperware container (or something similar).

Aternatively, sprinkle chocolate chips over the base of the container then put blogs of the hot mix over till it is all covered then press down. The heat in the mix is enough to melt the chocolate and when you turn it out, the bottom becomes the top with a fine layer of chocolate. Makes this very special.

Quote gardieI would add muesli and drop some other stuff:)

lx4000, Feb 21, 7:54pm
Muesli Bars
150g butter,1TBS Golden Syrup, 1/2c brown sugar (original recipe said to put in 1 cup sugar, I cut it down to this amount) - put in microwave to melt for 2 minutes. Then add 1.5 c flour, 1 cup rolled oats ( instead I used muesli), 1/2 cup cocnut, 1 tsp B.P, 1 cup sultanas... I didn't have sultanas so I used dried apricot chopped, some choc chips, I threw in some pumpkin seeds... Finally mix well and bake for 10 minutes

lx4000, Feb 21, 7:55pm
use it as a crumble topping with flour and butter and a bit of brown sugar!

245sam, Feb 21, 8:02pm
tarshlove, I make our muesli and it is easily toasted in the oven as advised by olwen.
I have two recipes that I alternate between and both of them have the cereals, nuts and seeds placed in a roasting dish, then a mix of honey and oil added and stirred through .The mix is then baked at 140°C for about 45 minutes, or until golden and toasted - it needs to be stirred every 10 minutes so that it doesn't burn.Once it has cooled, the muesli needs to be broken into smaller pieces or chunks.
Note: I sometimes bake the muesli at 180°C as many recipes advise and of course, the toasting doesn't take as long but the muesli needs to be watched more carefully as it will burn more readily otherwise.

Hope that helps.:-))