Flaky pastry ...

sarahb5, Feb 20, 10:45pm
I have some left over so I'm going to roll it out and make it into cheesy mite scrolls for the kids' afternoon tea - should I grease the tray first or use baking paper?I've made them before and the middles always rise up but the kids don't care - don't want to be chiselling them off the tray or scraping the paper off though

susieq9, Feb 20, 10:46pm
I would use baking paper. Wouldn't be without it now.

harrislucinda, Feb 20, 10:48pm
besttousebakingpaperthentherewillbenoscrapingenjoy

sarahb5, Feb 20, 10:50pm
Thanks - trouble is there was scraping last time I used the paper - maybe I should spray it as well just to be on the safe side - they didn't find the scraps left on them particularly tasty!Hot oven isn't it for flaky pastry?About 220?

buzzy110, Feb 20, 11:02pm
Are you sure you used baking paper? I've never had anything stick to it ever, but one day, when you go shopping you could keep any eye out for silicone baking sheets. These things are fantastic.Even if the cheese does spill out and bake onto the sheet, it won't stick. I wouldn't be without mine.

With regards temperature, what does the packaging say? Certainly for homemade my book recommends between 215-230C depending on whether it is filled or unfilled and what it is filled with.

sarahb5, Feb 21, 12:30am
Well I don't know what I did wrong last time but this time they slid off the paper beautifully - should be enough to fill the starving teens for at least an hour or so when they get home

gerry64, Feb 21, 5:07am
just reading a recipe for pasty type pies with flaky pastry - recipe says make up pies then put them in fridge for an hour before cooking to allow the pastry to rest - have not seen this before - any ideas if this will affect the outcome

sarahb5, Feb 21, 5:24am
I did that by chance last week with a chicken pie because I made it in the morning but didn't cook it until dinner time - didn't seem to make any difference really other than the fact that dinner was organised much earlier than usual!

gerry64, Feb 21, 10:44am
cheers Sarah - didnt have time to do it but will give it a try