Bottling tomatoes like canned ones, Help please

dancingqueen62, Feb 20, 10:15pm
My partner wants to preserve tomatoes like what comes out of a can, Any advice or recipes please. We want to use these tomatoes just like canned ones e.g stews, pasta sauces, So they don't need a lot of spices added.Thank you

cgvl, Feb 20, 10:35pm
I dont bother bottling them, if you have a freezer weigh out 400g tomatoes (can chop or leave whole) put into snap lock type bags label and freeze. You just grab a bag out of the freezer and use like a can of tomatoes.
Other options are to cook tomatoes down and freeze too.
I have never been able to preserve tomatoes successfully so have found the freezer the easiest to do

jazzzy, Feb 20, 10:40pm
I make Annabel Langbein's harvest sauce and then I use it for pasta sauces. It is fantastic, easy to make and SO tasty. Has really switched up a boring spag bol.
Harvest Sauce
This incredibly useful sauce is great tossed through pasta, as a base for soup, added to casseroles and pan sauces, and spread onto bread with cheese for a simple lunch snack.

Prep time 15 mins
Cook time2 hours
Makesabout 3 cups

1.5kg tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
2 red capsicums, deseeded and cut into eighths
1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tsp chopped rosemary leaves
Optional: 1 small chilli, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat your oven to 160C/320F.

Prepare all the vegetables and place in a large roasting dish or two lined with baking paper. The vegetables need to be in a single layer so they roast and caramelise rather than stew.

Add the garlic, rosemary leaves and chilli, if using. In a small bowl mix together the tomato paste, sugar, olive oil, salt and black pepper. Spoon this mixture over the sliced vegetables and stir through to coat evenly.

Bake for about 2 hours or until the vegetables are starting to caramelise and shrivel a little.

Allow the sauce to cool and purée in a food processor or blender. The sauce will keep in the fridge for up to a week or can be frozen. Alternatively, bring the puréed sauce to a boil and while very hot pour into sterilised jars. Cover with pop top lids and leave to cool then seal. Sealed jars will keep for months in the pantry.