Canned Apples which are Not A Product Of China

shop-a-holic, Feb 19, 9:35pm
I've hunted high and low for a brand of canned apples (whether it be diced; sliced or whatever) and cannot find a single one which is not a Product of China.
Watties "Pick of the Crop" is Chinese; as is Delish, Pams etc. I remember years ago, FreshUP used to provide these. Are they not doing so?
Am I hunting in the wrong stores?

lx4000, Feb 19, 9:45pm
buy some apples, peel, chop and simmer in a bit of water. NZ grown and made:)

uli, Feb 19, 9:45pm
Yes - you need to go to a vege shop and buy some apples :)

onekiwigirl, Feb 19, 10:22pm
The apple season has started so why are you looking for tinned apples this time of the year! Why not bottle or freeze some apples for the winter time while they are in season (now and over the next few months) if you know that you will want some later in the year!

uli, Feb 19, 10:26pm
Maybe because poster#1 is a shop-a-holic ?

lx4000, Feb 19, 10:44pm
We can help with that can't we !!

rarkl, Feb 19, 10:48pm
I've never preserved anything before, could you preserve stewed apples???

lx4000, Feb 19, 11:05pm
yip! peel, core, chop, little water in pot, stew down to chunks or mash for smooth. If not sweet enough, add some sugar. Bag or into containers and freeze! Simple and great for when fruit is cheap!! Can do alot of fruit this way also! Plums, peaches, pears etc but bananas, just straight into the freezer, skin and all. Defrost and peel!

onekiwigirl, Feb 19, 11:46pm
I know this is nothing to do with apples but I have bought seedless grapes when on special, strawberries and frozen them whole as they are into zip-lock bags ready for use in smoothies and it works a treat. I use a victimizer, throw in some iceblocks, some milk and some frozen berries and a bit of sugar because I like it sweet and it make a wonderful smoothie. And it is much cheaper than buying frozen fruit from the supermarket!!Doesn't even need any cooking!!

uli, Feb 20, 12:26am
A "victimizer" indeed?

elliehen, Feb 20, 12:28am
Our local raspberry grower sells one kilo of frozen free-flow raspberries for $6.00 and frozen boysenberries (my favourite) are available at the Sunday market for $5.00 a kilo all year round.

Stewed apple in ice-cream containers (or smaller ones for quicker thawing) is a great freezer standby, even though coolstore apples are available quite cheaply all year round.

onekiwigirl, Feb 20, 12:53am
Thanks uli for picking that up!!! it is very funny as I had speller checked my spelling!!Still nearly correct!!! You know what I meant!!!

onekiwigirl, Feb 20, 12:55am
That is a great price for a kilo of frozen berries, I was paying over $10 per bag from Foodtown and I am sure it was less than a kilo!

buzzy110, Feb 20, 2:13am
Oh please. The tears are running down my face. Please stop being bad uli.

buzzy110, Feb 20, 2:17am
I bottle mine. Do them exactly as 1x4000 said and put into sterilised jars and seal. Pop them in a cupboard and, hey presto, not even any need to thaw. Just open and use. You can even make them apple pie ready if you like with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe even a hint of mint for apple sauce. Anything you like really.

elliehen, Feb 20, 3:02am
She can't help herself - she puts that little devil icon beside most of her posts nowadays....

dezzie, Feb 20, 3:23am
elliehen, a little bit later in the season, you can pop out to frasers orchard at the bottom of the hill and get 15 kg of "horse treats" apples and pears for $6 (well they were last year), they are perfectly fine for bottling and freezing.
They've got 10 litre buckets of tomato's for $7 as well, and rock melons and watermelons.

elliehen, Feb 20, 3:26am
Thanks dezzie - I go there regularly and have already made tomato relish from Fraser's super bush tomatoes.You get to keep the bucket too - they're all red buckets this year!

shop-a-holic, Feb 20, 5:21am
Hey! Thanks everyone for Hijacking the thread. It doesn't matter whether I need fresh apples or canned ones.I'm looking for canned apples which are NOT a product of China.

nfh1, Feb 20, 5:27am
I don't think you will find them to be honest - much cheaper to get them produced in China and shipped here than to manufacture them here.

cookiebarrel, Feb 20, 6:11am
Shop-a-holic I was in one of our local supermarkets the other day and found Applepulp that was made in NZ from NZ grown apples.Was really pleased to find it for emergency use as I will not touch the others.Usually make my own apple products from my apple tree, but sometimes you have an emergency.Have to admit I can't recall products name, but as we only have 2 supermarkets in town, NW & CD, it will not be hard for me to check and will come back on and let you know.

dezzie, Feb 20, 8:16am
Well thats their free advert for the year, its good to have them there though!!

elliehen, Feb 20, 8:55am
They don't need the press :)There's so much passing traffic - even me again today, but I was looking for canteloupe and there was none and I'm all appled out for a while.I like the smoky taste of these early apples (like the old Gravensteins) but I'm waiting for the next varieties to come in and later for the rare Golden Delicious which makes a little cameo appearance locally.

elliehen, Feb 20, 8:59am
I feel for you shop-a-holic, but be thankful you didn't mention cooking from a packet - you'd have been flayed alive by a couple of posters ;)

You might possibly find a canned applesauce, American style, in the gourmet aisle.