Cherry Recipes

540trickzter, Feb 17, 8:10am
I got given a big box of Cherry's. Anyone got some good recipes? Maybe a good Cherry muffin recipe? or whatever is good so I can use them up.

lindylambchops1, Feb 17, 8:17am
Cherry Brandy
Large glass jar
Fresh cherries (enough to fill jar)
Caster sugar
Brandy (get the cheapest you can find)
Take the stem off each cherry and prick all over with a sterilised darning needle, then fill the jar almost to the top with the cherries. Discard any rotten ones. Pour on caster sugar so that it fills from the bottom to about one third of the jar. Then fill the jar to the top with brandy. Seal with a good fitting lid and store in a cool, dark place for six weeks or longer if you are patient!

jessie981, Feb 17, 8:24am
posted by pam delish
Chocolate Cherry Tarts
Approx 500gm fresh cherries
300gm Dark Cooking Chocolate
200gm Unsalted Butter
3 whole eggs 4 egg yolks
60g Caster Sugar

Cover blind baked pastry cases with fresh stoned, halved cherries. Melt chocolate and butter together in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisk eggs, yolks and sugar together until pale and doubled in volume. Fold through chocolate butter mixture. Pour over cherries and bake in oven at 170°C for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely before serving.

brightspark, Feb 17, 9:10am
Cherry Pie

1 packet sweet pastry
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
5 cups pitted FRESH cherries (bottled don't work as well).
1/2 teaspoon Cherry Essence (available from Bin Inn)
Juice and grated rind from 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 T Cornflour mixed in a little water (you may not need this much)
1 1/2 tablespoons butter

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 190 degrees C). Place bottom crust in piepan. Set top crust aside, covered.
2.In a pot combine salt, sugar, cherries, lemon juice and rind and essences. Bring to boil and simmer 10 mins. Stir in cornflour and water until desired consistency. Stir in butter. Allow to cool. Pour into bottom crust. Cover with top crust or strips, flute edges and cut vents in top. Place pie on a foil lined cookie sheet --- in case of drips!
3.Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown.

clsnz, Feb 18, 7:24am
I haven't made this yet but have some cherries in the freezer I'm going to try it with.

Cherry Lemongrass Jam
700grams ripe firm cherries
4 stalks lemongrass
400 grams sugar
1 Tblspn lemon juice

Remove the stones from the cherries.Keep the stones.Cut lemongrass into 2cm pieces and bash with a cooking mallet to release the flavoursome oils.Combine lemongrass and stones in a piece of muslin and tie with string.Place fruit and muslin bag into a large pot.Add a tablespoon of water or more if the fruit is very firm.Simmer gently until the fruit softens - don't overcook.Add sugar and lemon juice. Stir over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved then boil rapidly until setting point is reached about 30 minutes.Cool for about 15 minutes to allow fruit to distribute. Remove muslin bag and then spoon into hot sterilised jars and seal with lids.