Cheesecake Help

shaddowqueen, Feb 15, 9:19am
Hello, the story basically is, i want to make a cheesecake, just a plain vanilla one. you know, with a biscuit style base. But i am sooo confused! tried to google some recipes,only to get more confused. My mums at work,i remember her making them as kid, so no help there. so i thought id ask if anyone has a really good easy recipe? do you have to bake them? or just put it in the fridge? T I A

lx4000, Feb 15, 9:28am
I am not overly keen on chilled gelatine based cheesecakes. i much prefer a baked one.

Here is my baked passionfruit cheesecake recipe which is lovely.

250g plain sweet biscuits
125g butter, melted
1 kg cream cheese preferably at room temp...its easier to beat.
1 &1/4 cups caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
80mls passionfruit pulp (the pulp of 4 passionfruit)
3 eggs
1/4 cup cream

Preheat the oven to 160C.

Place the biscuits in a food processor and process until fine crumbs are formed. Tip into a bowl and mix with the melted butter.

Press into the bottom and 2 cm up the sides of a 22cm lined and buttered spring form pan. Chill.

In a medium bowl beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla essence and passionfruit until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time beating lightly after each addition and stir in the cream.

Pour into the prepared pastry shell and bake for 1 hour or until set.

Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool. Chill for 4 hours or overnight

Quotecookessentials

Maybe try this one and don't add the passionfruit and add a bit more van ess.

lx4000, Feb 15, 9:36am

marcs, Feb 15, 11:32am
this is the Chilled recipe I make. It makes a high 23cm cake which does look very impressive.

750g cream cheese (any cheep brand is fine as long as it is not the lite stuff)
1 cup castor sugar
2 cups cream
5 tsp gelatin soaked in 5 tbs of water.

Base
250 g plain biscuits
125 g butter melted.

Crush your biscuits (can use food processor). add melted butter and press into the tin. Refigerate while making the filling.

Beat cream cheese and sugar still soft and there are no lumps. Add cream and beat in till well incorporated into the cream cheese at low speed. Melt your gelatin for 30 sec's then add to the mixture.

YOu can now add flavours. Vanilla, 2 -3 lemons and rind, chocolate, baileys. Anything you can think of basically. I add vanilla and once set I add berries on top and make jelly with half the amount of water and pour this over and set again.

245sam, Feb 15, 11:45am
shaddowqueen, here's the recipe from my very first attempt - a very successful one! - at making a cheesecake.....

HEAVENLY CHEESECAKE - always popular whenever I make it.
Crumb Crust:
1 packet plain biscuits, crushed
170g butter, melted

Combine the biscuits and butter, then spread evenly into a 22·5cm (9”) springform tin and up the sides. Chill while preparing the Filling:
1 tbsp gelatine
250g cream cheese
¾ cup sugar
3 eggs
¼ cup each of water, lemon juice and milk
pinch salt

Blend the gelatine with the water and lemon juice, then set it aside. Combine the cream cheese, ½ cup sugar, beaten egg yolks, milk and salt. Cook over simmering water for 10 minutes, then blend in the gelatine mixture. Cool the mixture.
Beat 3 egg whites, gradually adding the remaining ¼ cup sugar, until soft peaks form. Fold this into cheese mixture and pour the filling carefully into crumb crust. Refrigerate.
If desired, pile whipped cream on top and serve as a dessert or as a cake with coffee.
This is nicest at least 1 day old, and freezes well too.

Hope you try this very easy to make cheesecake and that it becomes as popular in your house as it has in ours.:-))

rozke, Feb 15, 12:28pm
instead of using gelatine l use a packet of jelly any flavour lemon or lime or strawberry