Tuscan Love Cake

cookessentials, Feb 14, 8:53pm
Found this wee recipe ( would have been great for Valentines Day) sounds wonderful.

Makes 1x30cm diameter cake
3cup Raw sugar
1tsp Salt
2 Eggs
450g Butter
2cup Sour cream
1 ½ cup Apple – diced cooked or canned
5cup Flour
2tsp Baking soda
2dsp Golden syrup
4tsp Nutmeg – ground

TOPPING
½ cup Walnuts – chopped
½ cup Apple – sliced – extra

Melt the butter & golden syrup together, set aside.Mix the flour, sugar, salt & nutmeg in a bowl, add the melted butter and mix to a crumbly texture, add the first quantity of diced apple & mix, press ½ of this mixture into a greased & lined 30cm spring platform tin.To the remaining mixture add the sour cream, baking soda & eggs mix well and pour over the base, top with the sliced apples around the edge and chopped walnuts in centre, or you can use a crumble topping.Bake at 180C 35-40 mins.Cool you can also top with an apricot glaze if topping with the apples & walnuts.

griffo4, Feb 17, 6:43am
Hi cooks l was wondering if l can use milk with vinegar to make this as l have no sour cream and not going to town for a while
lt looks really interesting recipe so keen to try

greerg, Feb 17, 6:51am
Milk would probably alter the texture Griffo4 - what about cream with a little lemon juice or vinegar.It does sound interesting.Washoping Pam would try it and & report back.Maybe you could please if you are going to try it first.

cookessentials, Feb 17, 7:51am
Have not tried it yet. I agree greerg, I think wait till you have the sour cream first maybe.

griffo4, Feb 17, 10:10pm
Yes l have decided to wait till l go to town and l don't have time to do it till then anyway l thought it might alter the recipe so not game to try
Thanks again

griffo4, Feb 25, 7:53am
Hi Cooks l have got all the ingredients and l cooked up some granny smith apples but they have gone to pulp, will that be ok or do l go and pick another variety of apple and what sort would give me diced apple?
l was thinking of using my stewing apple and just putting it in raw and diced up as when you add any heat it goes to pulp?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated as l am going to make it tomorrow to take to a birthday on sunday

cookessentials, Feb 25, 8:22am
Not sure if Braeburns are around yet. If you are dicing, dont dice it too small and you would not need to cook it long at all. Best to bring up to heat, then turn off and pop the lid on, check it frequently. Or failing that, You nuy canned pie apples diced.