Freezing tomatoes......

kahnyae, Feb 13, 11:50pm
Can this be done? And if so how? Have so many tomatoes in my garden and dont want them to go to waste as it will be tomatoe soup time before we know it! Many thanks in advance :)

kahnyae, Feb 14, 12:40am
bumping.....

campmum, Feb 14, 12:52am
yes, they are fine to freeze... they do get watery but are suitable for stewing, soups etc...I freeze in 2kg lots & make relish throughout the year...skins just slip off.

harrislucinda, Feb 14, 12:54am
nowmaysoundstrangebutputinovendishwithbrownsugarbakeinovenuntilsoftcoolthenfreezedo thisallthetime

raewyn64, Feb 14, 6:58am
if I want to freeze tomatoes now can I add some basil in with them so when I go to use the tomatoes there will be some extra flavour?

elliehen, Feb 14, 7:37am
I freeze a useful mix of tomatoes, onion and celery.You can add any herbs you like.

raewyn64, Feb 14, 7:51am
excellent thanks for that

ridgeline, Feb 14, 8:39am
We halve tomatoes - sprinkle with a little sugar and freeze on trays. After 24 hours we bag up in free flow style. This allows us to easily choose and use what ever quantities we wish for casseroles, stews or sauces etc.

lookingfor, Feb 14, 8:44am
Personally I liquify my extra tomatoes, then freeze them in snap bags, it saves me buying tins of chopped tomates (something I buy and cook a lot of)

johne21, Feb 15, 2:31am
We just free flow freeze them whole skin on. Just take from freezer put in a bowl of hot water and skins come off real easy.

nunesy, Feb 15, 10:47pm
Why is the sugar needed???

lilyfield, Feb 15, 11:19pm
ditto
and sugar is not needed, adds extra calories, but it does bring out the flavor.

ridgeline, Feb 16, 7:22am
As per the previous post - we were told it enhances the flavour. we use very little sugar. We enjoy the tomatoes coming out of the deep freeze 6 months later and have not been game to change