Fisher or anyone else Tomatoes

pericles, Feb 10, 1:18am
picked some last night, and a couple had holes in them, and were
black inside.
What needs to be done?
Thanks

fisher, Feb 10, 1:48am
Maybe couple of reasons as to why this happens
Worms and sometimes ants can bore holes and allow the normal bacteria and fungi found in the environment to get inside and initiate a rotting process. Same thing happens if there's any break in the skin due to high heat and then lots of water/rain.. the skin splits open..
Could be internal or external BER...???are they growing in a clay type soil that's holding lots of water... Just water the base of the tomatoes and not the foliage.. dont over water, the droopy leaves will tell you when they need it...

pericles, Feb 10, 2:05am
thanks Fisher
soil is volcanic
maybe the water, as i water them every night, plus the leaves

beaker59, Feb 10, 2:22am
Are they dry, if so more water and a dose of fertiliser and organic matter like compost. Volcanic soils like a previous place I had in Epsom can be remarkably poor in nutrients as they are so free draining, great growing media the best in fact, though need feeding and watering allot.

Fisher is quite correct re watering soil not plant.

valentino, Feb 10, 2:33am
Copper wire is great or a good dose of copper spray.

In the old days, use to use a little bit of copper wire loosly entwined around the main stem a little near ground level.

Something in it makes the tomato plant thrive.

fisher, Feb 10, 3:40am
Pericles...I would add some calcium to the soil .... jut make a ring around the plant and stir in a little lime...water in..Try it on one plant and see it it makes a difference...

beaker59, Feb 10, 3:52am
Probably because it protects the plant from Rust. Fungi are Tomatoes biggest disease threat.

juliewn, Feb 10, 12:13pm
For calcium, adding water to the last 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of a 2 litre bottle of milk, and pouring some around the base of each tomato plant works well.. and when planting tomatoes, sprinkle a teaspoon of milk powder into the hole and mix into the soil before planting. Works in the gardening threads..

pericles, Feb 10, 7:43pm
many thanks for all the input