How to make Seafood Paella?

castlerocks, Feb 8, 9:39am
I have found how to make it but what "kiwi" fish do I use is the problem. Can anyone help please?

petal1955, Feb 8, 10:04am
Prawns, shrimps, mussels

castlerocks, Feb 8, 7:04pm
well that was easy :)

But recipe calls for cuttlefish .... ???!!!!!

ant_sonja, Feb 8, 7:21pm
use squid :-)

cookessentials, Feb 8, 9:24pm
I do a more traditional one which only has prawns in it along with chicken and chorizo. The original paella from Valencia did not use seafood.
Le tme know if you want the recipe.

castlerocks, Feb 9, 9:28am
Would love the recipe please. My friend is keen on the Seafood one as that is the one they got served when in England (lol I do find that funny) but I am keen to try your one.

Also I see that there is a proper pan to use but what pan do you use?

uli, Feb 9, 8:24pm
The original one used short-grain white rice, chicken (if available), rabbit, snails, duck (optional), beans, globe artichoke (a substitute for runner beans in the winter), tomatoes, fresh rosemary, sweet paprika, saffron, garlic (optional), salt, olive oil and water.

It is said though that the poorer Valencians used nothing more than snails for meat.

Bon appetite.

cookessentials, Feb 9, 8:58pm
I use a Spanish Paella pan ( pronounced Pie aya) Depending on the number of people you wish to feed will depend on the size of paella pan you buy.
A 30cm serves four
A 34cm serves six
A 38 serves eight people.
You will need to season the paella pan and the genuine Spanish ones come with seasoning and care instructions. In Spain, they use the paella pan on an outiside fire and everyone sits around the pan and eats from it...a very social occasion!

cookessentials, Apr 6, 1:08pm
Pam's Easy Seafood Paella

This will serve six people.

500g medium uncooked prawns
80ml olive oil
500g chicken thigh fillets, chopped coarsely
300g chorizo sausage, sliced
1 large red onion, chopped
1 largered capsicum, chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons Spanish paprika... I use theLa Chinata in the red & yellow tin.
300g white calrose medium grain rice ( You can also buy paella rice)
pinch saffron threads
1 litre chicken stock...I use Campbells
125g frozen peas
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped

NOTE: If you don't have a paella pan or a large frying pan, use two smaller frying pans, as the mixture should only be about 4cm deep. Recipe is best made just before serving.

Shell and devein the prawns, leaving the tails intact.

Heat half of the oil in a 40cm-wide shallow pan, add the chicken and cook until browned. Remove the chicken. Add the chorizo to the same pan and cook until browned. Remove the chorizo from the pan and drain on absorbent paper. Add the onion, capsicum, garlic and paprika to the pan; cook, stirring, until soft.

Add the remaining oil, rice and saffron; stir to coat the rice in the oil. Return the chicken and chorizo to the pan. (saffron threads need to be soaked in a little water,then use threads and water)

Stir in the stock; bring to the boil then simmer, uncovered, for about 12 minutes or until the rice is almost tender. Do not stir. Sprinkle the peas and tomato over the rice and simmer, uncovered, for a further three minutes.

Place prawns over the rice mixture. Cover pan with foil and simmer for 5 minutes or until the prawns are cooked through.