Sushi help

suzy30, Feb 5, 8:09am
Whats the best to use the sushi vinager are the powder stuff the you put into the rice.

gr8stuf4me, Feb 5, 11:52pm
I myself go for the sushi vinegar, and shake it with a little salt and sugar as per the instructions on the back of my sushi rice packet, before adding it to the cooked rice.Havent tried the powdered stuff myself but the vinegar has always worked well for me.If you would like me to post my recipe for you - just sing out as its no trouble.

earthangel4, Feb 6, 1:39am
Ah yes please,I have never tried doing Sushi,would love to,as its gluten free,just have to watch what vinegar I use.

gr8stuf4me, Feb 6, 2:02am
Sushi Rice

Rinse 1c/200g of sushi rice under cold water, drain and place in a saucepan.
Add 1.5c/375ml of cold water and bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
Remove from heat, stand, covered, for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile mix sushi vinegar mix as follows:

2 tbs rice vinegar
2 tbs sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Mix the sugar and salt into the vinegar until the sugar dissolves

Pour sushi vinegar mix over rice and stir in well using a wooden spoon.Let rice cool completely or fan it to speed up the process.This is best done in a large flat dish.

Next use the rice to make your favourite sushi by whichever method you prefer.I have a sushi maker which is great but otherwise you simply flatten the rice onto your nori shiney side of nori upwards, leaving a 2 cm strip free to seal in your filling.Add filling, roll up, slice and eat.

Enjoy!

Edited to add that I put the rice in my rice cooker after rinsing it and find it does a great job, you be the judge which is best for you.

gr8stuf4me, Feb 6, 2:24am
This recipe will make you three cups of sushi rice, which is enough to make 3 sushi rolls.It also freezes well - I freeze it in one cup portions for easy use.Just thaw it out and away you go.

suzy30, Feb 6, 3:56am
Thanks for your help> I have been to the supermarket and got some.

earthangel4, Feb 6, 5:41am
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this recipe

gr8stuf4me, Feb 6, 6:48am
My pleasure - its nice to be in a postion to help others on the message boards when one has received so much in return from others.Enjoy!

t.gypsy, Mar 29, 2:48am
same here thanks i will get some rice vinegar and some sushi rice and paper wasabi and away i go..