Homemade chicken stock

Page 1 / 2
jimbob37, Feb 4, 12:36am
right....so I've made the stock using the carcass from our roast chicken last night.Was just trying it out, as I've never made my own stock before.

Now what do I do with it????Ideas/suggestions on what to make with it?

uli, Feb 4, 12:38am
I make soup - believe it or not :)

I usually pick all the meat off the carcass and reserve it, then boil the carcass, put it through a strainer and then add the meat and any veges I fancy.

Of course you could just buy a bit of chicken meat and add that.

davidt4, Feb 4, 1:02am
You could make a risotto or a paella - they are both good ways to show off home made stock.

Freeze it and use it to make the gravy next time you roast chicken, lamb, pork or beef.

Braise some sliced cabbage or fennelin it.

Make a veloute sauce for chicken breasts or steamed veges.

maryteatowel1, Feb 4, 1:05am
...i have bucket loads of chicken stock...frozen down into 1/2 and 1 litre containers...(we grow chickens)...i use it for lots of different soups...thai soups, chicken, leek & potato, pumpkin...all the usual...i use it in risottos, making extra gravy, ratatouille, pilaf, thick gravy for chicken pies, boiling rice or doing couscous...often if something calls for vegie stock you can use chicken stock...

greerg, Feb 4, 1:24am
All the types of things Marywea makes plus I make the sauces for macaroni cheese, lasagne, pasta bakes etc with chicken stock substituted for most of the milk.Adds quite a bit of extra flavour. as well as saving the remains oc chickens I roastI buy bulk lots of carcasses from a local poultry place when I'm feeling energetic and do several large lots in the pressure cooker.

hindsfeet, Feb 4, 4:36am
if I have cooked a chook in the slow cooker. Chicken only with no water or anything. can I use whats left in the cooker when i take the chicken out to make stock?

gaspodetwd, Feb 4, 4:41am
You can- but it is very bland is comparison. I don't usually bother unless it is beef and I have cooked lots of veggies with it.

buzzy110, Feb 4, 4:54am
Yes you can. It is the perfect base for making chicken stock as it is pure chicken stock. Just saute some stock vegetables, throw in your stock, add some water, for greater volume, season and boil then simmer for 30mins or even cook in your slow cooker for however long you think. I don't have one so can't help with timing there.

Strain and save the stock. Throw the stock vege (usually the scraps like tops of leeks, leaves and stringy bits of celery, a carrot, onion, garlic, the hard bits from cabbage, cauli and broccoli and sometimes, scrubbed peel you would normally throw away) away.

Refrigerate.

Most people remove the fat that sets on the top but I think it adds to the flavour, but that is just me and every other low carber who does, so no pressure there. Toss it if you can see no further use for it.

hindsfeet, Feb 4, 5:33am
Thanks guys, have never made stock before but have started cooking chicken for meat on lunches so might give it a try

jessie981, Feb 4, 6:21am
Bought a couple of table hens from Mad Butcher for $5 each. Covered with water, onion, salt, pepper, chicken & beef stock, grated carrot & uncooked rice. When cooked remove meat & shred. Add back into soup & enjoy. So yummy. These fowls are good as they don't have excess fat.

uli, Feb 4, 8:02am
I usually roast the chicken carcass in the oven for 30 minutes, so the bones get nice and brown (works just as well with beef bones or pork bones by the way) - then cook the lot with veges and herbs to make the stock... it tastes so much better than just a raw carcass.

nfh1, Aug 19, 3:58am
I saved a chicken carcass and just found it in the freezer.I have defrosted it and now have it boiling in a saucepan - I want to use it as a base for soup.Should I add something to the pan - it has the chicken in, water and salt and pepper!

buzzy110, Aug 19, 5:59am
It is usual to add some 'stock' vegetables. These can be the bits that you discard - broccoli and cauliflower stalks, the tough green leek and cabbage leaves leaves, celery tops, etc, along with a roughly sliced onion, a clove or 2 of garlic and, if you like it and have it growing a chilli. Some people add carrot as well but I don't like how sweet it makes the stock.

Discard all the vegetables once your stock is made. Some of the things I use my stock in are:

Definitely sauces and gravies
Soups
Stews
Chinese Stir fried meat and vegetables
I cook the baby's vegetables in stock
Risotto

It adds a whole new dimension to your food. Where others use milk to make bechamel (white) sauce, I much prefer to use stock.

nfh1, Aug 19, 8:16am
Thank you, I took your advice but forgot to post!

I added a leek (all of it), some celery and a couple of chillis which I had frozen!I have disposed of the veges and it tastes 'reasonable' - I suppose it is not supposed to have a strong taste!I was not sure how much water to put in so may have added too much.

Anyway I am sure it will be better than using just water for my soup.

nfh1, Aug 20, 3:58am
I saved a chicken carcass and just found it in the freezer.I have defrosted it and now have it boiling in a saucepan - I want to use it as a base for soup.Should I add something in particular to the pan, or is it ok - it has the chicken in, onion, water and salt and pepper!

buzzy110, Aug 20, 5:59am
It is usual to add some 'stock' vegetables. These can be the bits that you discard - broccoli and cauliflower stalks, the tough green leek and cabbage leaves leaves, celery tops, etc, along with a roughly sliced onion, a clove or 2 of garlic and, if you like it and have it growing a chilli. Some people add carrot as well but I don't like how sweet it makes the stock.

Discard all the vegetables once your stock is made. Some of the things I use my stock in are:

Definitely sauces and gravies
Soups
Stews
Chinese Stir fried meat and vegetables
I cook the baby's vegetables in stock
Risotto

It adds a whole new dimension to your food. Where others use milk to make bechamel (white) sauce, I much prefer to use stock.

nfh1, Aug 20, 8:16am
Thank you, I took your advice but forgot to post!

I added a leek (all of it), some celery and a couple of chillis which I had frozen!I have disposed of the veges and it tastes 'reasonable' - I suppose it is not supposed to have a strong taste!I was not sure how much water to put in so may have added too much.

Anyway I am sure it will be better than using just water for my soup.

jimbob37, Feb 4, 12:36am
right.so I've made the stock using the carcass from our roast chicken last night.Was just trying it out, as I've never made my own stock before.

Now what do I do with it!Ideas/suggestions on what to make with it!

maryteatowel1, Feb 4, 1:05am
.i have bucket loads of chicken stock.frozen down into 1/2 and 1 litre containers.(we grow chickens).i use it for lots of different soups.thai soups, chicken, leek & potato, pumpkin.all the usual.i use it in risottos, making extra gravy, ratatouille, pilaf, thick gravy for chicken pies, boiling rice or doing couscous.often if something calls for vegie stock you can use chicken stock.

greerg, Feb 4, 1:24am
All the types of things Maryteatowel makes plus I make the sauces for macaroni cheese, lasagne, pasta bakes etc with chicken stock substituted for most of the milk.Adds quite a bit of extra flavour. as well as saving the remains oc chickens I roastI buy bulk lots of carcasses from a local poultry place when I'm feeling energetic and do several large lots in the pressure cooker.

hindsfeet, Feb 4, 4:36am
if I have cooked a chook in the slow cooker. Chicken only with no water or anything. can I use whats left in the cooker when i take the chicken out to make stock!

gaspodetwd, Feb 4, 4:41am
You can- but it is very bland is comparison. I don't usually bother unless it is beef and I have cooked lots of veggies with it.

buzzy110, Feb 4, 4:54am
Yes you can. It is the perfect base for making chicken stock as it is pure chicken stock. Just saute some stock vegetables, throw in your stock, add some water, for greater volume, season and boil then simmer for 30mins or even cook in your slow cooker for however long you think. I don't have one so can't help with timing there.

Strain and save the stock. Throw the stock vege (usually the scraps like tops of leeks, leaves and stringy bits of celery, a carrot, onion, garlic, the hard bits from cabbage, cauli and broccoli and sometimes, scrubbed peel you would normally throw away) away.

Refrigerate.

Most people remove the fat that sets on the top but I think it adds to the flavour, but that is just me and every other low carber who does, so no pressure there. Toss it if you can see no further use for it.

jessie981, Feb 4, 6:21am
Bought a couple of table hens from Mad Butcher for $5 each. Covered with water, onion, salt, pepper, chicken & beef stock, grated carrot & uncooked rice. When cooked remove meat & shred. Add back into soup & enjoy. So yummy. These fowls are good as they don't have excess fat.

uli, Feb 4, 8:02am
I usually roast the chicken carcass in the oven for 30 minutes, so the bones get nice and brown (works just as well with beef bones or pork bones by the way) - then cook the lot with veges and herbs to make the stock. it tastes so much better than just a raw carcass.