Freezing milk powder?

grandma, Feb 2, 6:54pm
I bought a 1 kg bag of milk powder (for emergencies and bread making) but we have decided we enjoy the french bread recipe best and that doesn't use milk powder.Can I freeze the powder and just use it when I need it?Perhaps I'll need to decant it into smaller pottles to bring out separately and keep in the fridge?Advice would be appreciated.

jessie981, Feb 2, 7:18pm
Should be ok if it's tin foil or plastic packaging to keep in the cupboard. Otherwise (if you have one) vacuum pack.

greerg, Feb 2, 7:29pm
I freeze it because otherwise the emergency packet just has to be tossed out when the use by date passes.I have tried it after 3 and 1/2 years and it both smelt and tasted fine so I decided to give it two years past the use by date.Friend who is food technologist said there are no real guidelines but she would be quite happy wit this herself.

nzhel, Feb 2, 11:21pm
I keep mine well sealed in the fridge and its always perfectly ok even after well past the use by date.

grandma, Mar 20, 3:08pm
Many thanks jessie, greerg and nzhel for your responses.It's good to know that I haven't wasted the milk powder and I can use it as needed.I think I'll freeze some and put a small amount (well sealed) in the fridge for more immediate use.