Help please!! Cooking for 5 and bare cupboards!

bonniefloss, Feb 2, 1:26am
2 adults, 2 teenage boys, and an 8 year old girl to cook for...I have 3 small tins of tuna, plenty of potatoes, pasta and rice, salad ingredients, plenty of flour, butter and milk, but no eggs... Oh, and I have 3 tins of baked beans and plenty of bread...

dbab, Feb 2, 1:35am
You could make a big pasta salad. Cook your pasta. I add frozen peas and corn during the last couple of minutes. Drain and set aside.
Mix a can or 2 of salmon ( or tuna) with mayonnaise and tomato sauce to taste. Stir into the pasta.
Add chopped tomatoes, cucumber, spring onion, and any other veges you like.
Stir all together gently and serve on lettuce.
Would be nice with bread rolls on the side.

duckmoon, Feb 2, 1:36am
tuna chilli con carne...

Put the baked beans, with some tomaotes (do you have tinned toms), and the tuna together...
Serve on top of rice;

You might like to make some sweet scones for pudding
or custard

bonniefloss, Feb 2, 1:36am
Mmmmthat sounds delish!

cookessentials, Feb 2, 1:38am
Tuna& Macaroni Bake

145g (1 cup) macaroni pasta
1 tablespoon butter
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 cups skim milk
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
1/2 cup grated light tasty cheese
185g can tuna in spring water, drained
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1/2 cup wholegrain breadcrumbs (see note)
steamed vegetables, to serve

Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 6-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Cook pasta following packet directions. Drain.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Return to heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture comes to the boil.

Remove from heat and stir in mustard, cheese, tuna, parsley and pasta. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden. Serve with steamed vegetables.

Depending on what pasta you have. if you dont have macaroni, use spiral or what ever you have got.

bonniefloss, Feb 2, 1:39am
Oooh that sounds great cookessentials!

cookessentials, Feb 2, 1:48am
Hopefully you have all those ingredients?

goldgurl, Feb 2, 2:12am
how about making a whitesauce and adding the tins of tuna to it...mash the spuds and put them ontop - like a fish pie...do you have garlic?You could make garlic bread..

cgvl, Feb 2, 4:11am
you could make fish cakes, have with salad.
tuna, potatoes cook and mash them but do a dry mash, mix the 2 together and season well. Add some milk or water to help bind and a little flour. You will need around 500g potatoes. a finely chopped onion and parsley if you have as well.
Before frying or baking you can roll them on breadcrumbs or rolled oats or just extra flour.

bonniefloss, Mar 16, 8:41pm
Hi all! Thanks for all the feedback!

Anyway, for anyone interested, I mashed some potatoes with skin on, adding butter, ranch dressing, salt and lemon pepper.. Then added tuna and very finely chopped onion. Coated them in breadcrumbs and shallow fried them. Served with a green salad. Was DELICIOUS!!! Thanks for all the tips and great ideas. The salad and the tuna macaroni bake are on my list to try another day!