Soup experts..

jcprotea, Jan 31, 7:08am
I have a recipe for lentil soup (yes I know you may think blerk) but I was wondering instead of a turnip could I use a parsnip? Turnips I think are seasonal and I wonder what I could use instead. I know it is not quite soup weather but on yucky days, it is nice to get out some soup and bread. thanks.

motorbo, Jan 31, 7:10am
dont see why not in fact i would suggest parsnips have more flavour so would be nicer to use, im not anti lentils!! just dont cook with them alot, feel free to share your recipe for us all :)

jcprotea, Jan 31, 7:13am
I got it from a Jewish cookbook of all things. So hence the turnip as it used a bit in Jewish soup. I know I am one but never make my own soup before with turnips. I use lentils a bit now as I have gone Vegan so it is a good for bulking out food.

olwen, Jan 31, 7:36am
Yuck to the corn beef liquor but you won't be using that anyway.Apart from that it sounds good.

Many years ago when I was broke I used a lot of lentils.One favorite was a cottage pie with the base made of brown lentils and veges and mashed spud on the top.

motorbo, Jan 31, 7:40am
that would be yummy i suspect and parsnips will be fine in it, but if ya vegan you cant have the corned beef stock so use a vege stock i guess

lilyfield, Jan 31, 8:20am
love lentil soup but have never added turnips.
Just carrot, celery ,leeks, onion,dash of vinegar and a ham bone

greerg, Jan 31, 8:37am
Lentils are also a handy low cost casserole, chilli, pie filling extender.

elliehen, Jan 31, 8:39am
And the quick-cooking red lentils make a good thickener.

jcprotea, Jan 31, 9:44am
oh yeah no to the beef stock! I have a gluten free vege stock instead.

margyr, Jan 31, 5:37pm
i would use a swede instead of the turnip.

jcprotea, Mar 14, 2:41am
oo thanks. I was trying to ask hubby what something similar was to a turnip. he also said use a parsnip. thanks all for your answers.