*** family over for tea tonight 6 people any!!!!

bull23, Jan 21, 6:18pm
ideas something that is delicious, healthy, quick....:-)

crystalmoon, Jan 21, 6:40pm
2 roast chickens,roast veg and greens,would be nice in this weather.
edit for dessert,nice apple crumble with custard.

molly37, Jan 21, 7:50pm
lasagna, salad, fresh rolls. At least you can make the lasagna is advance.Pre made stuffed chicken breasts, salad, layered potatoe.
I do a really quick pasta dish too......fry onions and garlic, add smoked chicken broken up, 1 pot of creme fraiche, sweet thai chilly sauce, and chopped avocado just at the end. Top with grilled bacon bits and toasted pine nuts. Serve over Tri Coloured Fettucine. Serve with a salad. Can substitute smoked chicken for bacon and mussels.
It looks impressive but takes 10 mins. might have to double for a larger crowd. Have fun tonight.

elliehen, Jan 21, 10:54pm
molly37, you probably throw this together, but could you please elaborate with quantities?I don't want to get too carried away with the chilli sauce ;)

buzzy110, Jan 21, 11:41pm
Funny. I've never found lasagne to be quick or simple. The actual making can take up to half a day, even more. And the washing up is horrendous. I'd never plan this for guests. I'd be wiped out by the time dinner rolled round and when I saw a piece of lasgne on a plate with some salad I'd feel cheated. All that work for what. A slice of lasagne and some salad.

Stick to the chickens and veg.

I'd prepare a medly of baked veg - 1 or 2 potatoes, ½kumara, slices of butternut, courgette, parnsip, eggplant, carrots, beetroot, baby onion, celery, swede, baby tomatoes, cloves of garlic (your choice of what to have) diced up chunky and covered in a couple of tablespoons of oil that has been added to rosemary, garlic and sea salt crushed in a mortar and pestle and cook with the chicken.

If you have a lemon tree slice a lemon, salt the slices and push between the skin and flesh of the chickens. Put the remainder in the cavity with salt. Yum. Lemon chicken and so easy.

Use the stock that comes out of the chickens as they cook as a base for a delicious white roux sauce with parsley.

Chuck in some gently steamed green beans (cheap and plentiful at this time of the year) and you have a simple, easy feast. If you have access to baby carrot then a bunch, gently cooked till just tender are nice at this time of the year as well.

buzzy110, Jan 21, 11:44pm
Well maybe molly's recipe is quick and simple. I was thinking of something a bit more traditional. And it is a good idea if you also like the idea of pizza with cranberry sauce, smoked chicken and brie.

motorbo, Feb 18, 5:54am
i agree with you on the lasagne being time consuming, but i think its how you make it, for me its time consuming cos i make the pasta, i make roasted vege to be included in the homemade tomatoe mix and i make the white sauce, my way. but some would buy cheese sauce mix, buy the tomatoe sauce in a jar and buy the dried or fresh pasta.