Can you freeze apricots

itsmineah, Jan 20, 10:56am
Down at our fruit shops I saw a box of fresh apricots for $15-a bargain compaired to $6 a kilo at woolworths.I thought I could buy it and make some jam but there would be a lot left over so could I puree them and freeze them to use later in pies or something.Can anyone help me please

punkinthefirst, Jan 20, 11:10am
Yes you can

juliewn, Jan 20, 11:23am
Yes, they freeze well.. you can also cut them in half, remove the stones, then freeze them.. with both the puree and the halves, they go a little brownish-looking - when you cook them that will go and you'll get a good apricot colour again.

When making jam, to enhance the flavour, and to make a change, some finely sliced dried apricots can be added.. soak them in a little water for several hours to soften them before adding them to the fresh apricots and continuing making the jam.

joybells2, Jan 21, 4:07am
yes I have just done 10kg of them.Just wash and cut and pull the stone out and freeze in whatever size bags you want.I use them for desserts etc in winter.

jaygee56, Jan 20, 4:25am
It's better to cook them slightly before freezing as they get a great colour. Frozen apricots don't re-cook to the same lovely colour!

juliewn, Jan 20, 11:23am
Yes, they freeze well. you can also cut them in half, remove the stones, then freeze them. with both the puree and the halves, they go a little brownish-looking - when you cook them that will go and you'll get a good apricot colour again.

When making jam, to enhance the flavour, and to make a change, some finely sliced dried apricots can be added. soak them in a little water for several hours to soften them before adding them to the fresh apricots and continuing making the jam.