TOMATO PULP ON TOAST

kevpat, Jan 13, 12:28am
An easy recipe that my family loves.
In a large microwave bowl place 500g tomatoes, pour over boiling water and stand a few minutes. Pour into sink. Remove skin and roughly chop tomatoes placing back into bowl. Add 1 Tablespoon each of cornflour, sugar & butter. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir and microwave on High for a minute or two. Stir and serve on buttered toast. Can be mashed with potato masher for a finer mix. if desired.

elliehen, Jan 13, 2:03am
I seem to remember (from reading David Lange's memoirs) that his favourite meal was tomatoes on toast.

herself, Jan 13, 3:04am
I love tomatoes on toast, but I just like them fresh, sliced, on hot buttered toast with salt and pepper.I have this for lunch at least two or three times a week when my tomatoes are producing like mad in the summertime - right now! Yum.

goldgurl, Jan 13, 3:26am
I like them fresh too, but I do prefer them cut in half and almost cooked through on my cast iron pan...Mmmm.

mydebe, Jan 13, 3:29am
As a child I remember my grandfather having the worlds biggest glasshouse and there always being an overflowance of tomatoes, Nana used to bottle them and they were devine. It was such a treat to go to their house for dinner on the weekend as it was usually Nana's bottled tomatoes and pipng hot toast which she used to time the cooking of right down to the buzzer with a wee production line of buttering and cutting so the toast never went soggy. Oh to go back to a time when all I had to worry about was how hot my toast was....

gaspodetwd, Jan 13, 4:36am
I love to a tomatoes on toast- but drenched I good olive oil and basil and salt and pepper. Delicious.

cookessentials, Jan 13, 10:08am
All i do is Vogels original(has to be vogels) toasted, then spread with Heinz mayo ( has to be Heinz) then slices of fresh tomato and freshly ground salt and pepper...yum.

elliehen, Jan 29, 6:13am
Vogel's is 2 loaves for $6.00 in my South Island Countdown as this weekend's special :)