Recipe for (fresh) cherry pie please.

gardie, Jan 5, 2:22am
I have seen a pie with a sponge like filling and then cherries in/on it.Just been into Blenheim (on holiday) and found a man selling 1 kg bags for $5 each outside the airport.The best cherries I've ever tasted.Would like to do something special with them.

cookessentials, Jan 5, 2:31am
sounds like calfoutis gardie. here is a fresh cherry pie recipe and then I will hunt out my clafoutis recipe for you too.
1 cup (200g) plain flour
100g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons caster sugar
50g almond meal
2 tablespoons iced water
1 kg pitted cherries
2 tablespoons cornflour
2 tablespoons caster sugar
ice cream, to serve

Place flour, butter, sugar and almond meal in the bowl of a food processor. Process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add water and continue to process until mixture comes together.

Remove from processor and shape into a disc. Refrigerate for an hour or until ready to use.

Place cherries, cornflour and sugar in a bowl.

Preheat oven to 200C.

Roll out pastry to approx 25cm. Place cherries in the middle, leaving a 5cm border. Crimp edges to form a border.

Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden.

Serve with cream and ice cream.

cookessentials, Jan 5, 2:34am
500g fresh black cherries, washed, pitted and stem removed or 1 tin pitted black cherries, well drained
1 tablespoon caster sugar
3 eggs
1/3 cup (100g) caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
95g plain flour plain flour, sieved
pinch of salt
125ml milk
1/3 cup cream
icing sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 180C. Butter a 25 cm round fluted baking dish and scatter evenly with the cherries. Sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon of caster sugar.

Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until frothy. Fold in flour, salt, milk and cream. Pour over the cherries and bake for 45 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Serve warm dusted generously with icing sugar.

gardie, Jan 5, 3:10am
Many thanks - going to try the second recipe as our hosts have no almond meal and the shops are toooo far away.I did have the forethought to get some cream and custard though - lucky.

cookessentials, Jan 5, 3:36am
Absolutley and I think if it was a spongey type dessert, then it would have been the clafoutis which, by the way,you can do with plums too.

gardie, Jan 5, 8:58am
Made the calfoutis and it was great.Would put in a little extra sugar next time - or perhaps sprinkle it with demarara before baking.We have got some fresh apricots too and I think I will do something similar with them.Need to get some ground almonds - I think I could have popped in a bit of almond essence to the calfoutis for an added flavour too.Will definately make this again.

cookessentials, Jan 5, 9:08am
Glad you liked it.

gardie, Jan 15, 4:48am
Have made this heaps. Cherries, blueberries and apricot have all been hits.I use fresh fruit and with the apricots, I put in some almond essence and then sprinkle flaked almonds over the uncooked clafoutis and then pop it in the oven. I found out that this recipe does not double all that successfully (maybe folding in double the flour means some air is lost).Thanks again cookessentials for this awesome recipe.

blt10, Jan 15, 5:13am
Nice goodies in here.

gardie, Oct 13, 4:10am
bumping. really must write this into my recipe book for the summer fruits I'm hoping to enjoy!

elliehen, Oct 13, 4:20am
Bad gardie.I saw 'cherries in Blenheim $5 a kilo' and thought Whaaaaat!

However, I can wait.not long before all the signs go up on the country roads.I buy 'seconds' for instant eating and premium grade for stashing a few days longer.We are offered different varieties by local growers as the weeks go by over summer.

gardie, Oct 13, 4:26am
Don't you just hate it when people do that lol!We aren't going to get down there this year so you can tease me from afar when they do come in!

gardie, Jan 5, 2:22am
I have seen a pie with a sponge like filling and then cherries in/on it.Just been into Blenheim (on holiday) and found a man selling 1 kg bags for $5 each outside the airport.The best cherries I've ever tasted.Would like to do something special with them.