Cookessentials

macwood2, Jan 4, 10:22pm
Can you please post the lemon yoghurt cake?I have been looking for a special dessert to take out tonight for a pot luck tea and this might fit the bill.If you have the time, that is.TIA.

cookessentials, Jan 4, 10:29pm
Lemon Yoghurt Cake
This recipe has been in the family for over 25 years it was given to my Mother a friend in Seattle hence the use of a "bundt" tin. Bundt tins are available for sale in our catalogue. The cake keeps extremely well and freezes beautifully. Just remember to grease tin well with butter and dust with flour,shaking off the excess before filling with mixture.
Ingredients:
1 & 3/4 cups caster sugar
rind 2-3 lemons
2 eggs
1 cup sunflower oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plain unsweetened yoghurt (not low fat)
2-3 tsp lemon juice
2 cups self raising flour
Method:
Beat eggs,oil,sugar and peel together in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients in the order above. Butter and flour a 24cm bundt tin . Bake at 180C for thirty minutes. Test with a cake tester. Let cake rest only 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Dust cold cake with sifted icing sugar.

cookessentials, Jan 4, 10:35pm
Will give you a couple of my others as someone was asking about buttermilk yesterday and these scones are wonderful.

Buttermilk Scones.(Makes 16)
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

cookessentials, Jan 4, 10:36pm
Pam's Pumpkin Loaves (makes two)
Ingredients:
3 cups of castor sugar
1 cup salad/sunflower oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
(tsp of spices do not need to be level - up to you, but I like spicy.)
500g pumpkin,cooked and mashed
(cut pumpkin into big chunks-leave the skin on and put into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cover with gladwrap-leave a loose corner for steam to escape. Cook for 8-9 minutes-just be careful removing the wrap-its hot!! When it is cool enough to handle, slice the skin off with a sharp paring knife).
Method:
Cream sugar and oil with electric mixer in LARGE bowl, add eggs and pumpkin,mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the water. Grease and flour your loaf tins. When you fill them, they will be close to the top of the tin. Using a cup to get mixture into tins -gets them even. Bake at 175c for 1 & 1/2 hours. Let them stand 10 minutes before turning out. NOTE:These will rise VERY high in the tin, so don't panic. I test mine with a skewer in the middle because they sometimes need a little extra time. They freeze beautifully and they keep moist for ages too. Anyone who does not like pumpkin-just tell them it is a spice loaf- I can bet they will love it..

macwood2, Jan 4, 10:49pm
You are such a star!I have made the pumpkin loaves with great success.Everyone requests the recipe when they taste it.I was expecting the lemon cake to have a lemon syrup with it.Do you ever pour syrup over it?

cookessentials, Jan 4, 10:58pm
No, I have not, but I think maynard9 has. You will find that it keeps beautifully. I love lemon, so often add a little extra rind and i have also made it using limes, however, you neded to use more lime zest to get the lime zing.

mackenzie2, Jan 4, 12:41pm
I was expecting the lemon cake to have a lemon syrup with it.Do you ever pour syrup over it?[/quote]

I make a lemon and sour cream cake, very simular to the one above, I make a syrup with castor sugar and lemon juice, then pour over just before serving.